High Sierra Installation on Existing RAID 0 Array

Hello,

I have the development beta of macOS 10.13, however I cannot install the upgrade because of the SSD RAID 0 I set up earlier this year to increase R/W speeds. The exact error message from the installation utility is "You may not install to this volume because it is part of a AppleRAID."

It is a software RAID done through Disk Utility on a MacBook Pro 9,2 with 2x Crucial MX300 275GB SSDs. I remember I had to create two separate partitions from each of the two drives, and RAID two of them together as a main drive and the others as a recovery drive in order for the operating system to install.

I am currently running Sierra, and the only other modification the laptop has is a memory increase (4GB to 16GB).

I would like to preserve my files in the same fashion as a regular installation of a new OS onto a single drive system. What would be the easiest way to do this? I have access to two 1TB hard drives I could RAID together to use as a backup system, and do a clean installation of High Sierra, and then transfer over the files from before. This is a bit tedious, and I am unsure about how to do this with a beta software which can't be pulled from the online recovery system during startup. So, if there are any more convenient ways to go about this issue, I would really appreciate the advice. Thank you!

Replies

Any new updates on this issue? And also, i have the same problem where i can’t install HS on raid, my 2012 mbp is running on os x mavericks at the moment. Is there anyway that I could update it to Sierra? I’m patiently waiting but its rendering my mbp useless since i use it for school and i can’t download MS Office on it due to OS Mavericks being outdated.

Hello Guys, the problems that I'm facing are:

- Unable to wipe the drive, giving me the chance to come back to journaled

- Unable to create any RAID format between 2 SSD drivers, only error messages comes up (APFS format both) even trough external boot installation

Any changes in new High Sierra version 10.13.1 ? Raid problems solved?

I second this remark!

I have been using AppleRaid on 2 x SSD drives on a mac min using Sierra for ages, Sierra works fine in this regard and is fast, the issue only exists with high sierra.

Nw

So I tested with the MacOS 10.13.1 installer, but the problem continues, nothing from AppleRAID, Apple support told me to make a complaint at http://apple.com/feedback for Engineering to solve this problem

They wont fix soon those problem, deliberately want to resolve it, because SSD raid-0 (for example 2 SSD 240GB HyperX Fury cost 260$) on APFS gives you almost 2200 megabyte per sec. read speed and 800 megabyte per sec. write speed, you can have this speed on macbook pro late 2011! How they sell products in 2016 and 2017 if you have almost the same speed on products of 2011? Do not expect to solve this problem soon!!! 😟

Yeah, after I had posted this is when I thought about installing Sierra. I could careless about High Sierra atm since I think it's still a Beta, not that It would install on Raid. But yeah, for those who have apple Raid, Sierra will install on Raid.

My laptop is super fast now although, the battery is draining faster now than it used to be. I could probably only get around 3-4 hours of constant usage. Did you replaced your Battery?

I wouldn't bother with High Sierra right now. I'd highly recommend staying on Sierra on Raid until High Sierra is fully released.

I did pretty much the same as you, got slightly further, but now I am stuck with a machine that won't boot and reports “Error loading kernel cache 0x7". I’m going to reformat the RAID array as HFS+ and reinstall.

Apple, Any updates on this?

Apple, ANY updates to this?

I just tried to install Mojave 10.14 on a dual drive Mini server. It accepts the raid 0, allows me to restore a time machine backup to the drive but gives the "?" when it tries to boot from the drive. I plan to experiment a bit, but it appears 10.14 goes through the whole installation without telling me that I'm doing something wrong, so maybe it will work.

Do you have any updates on this? Have you perhaps figured out what is going on?