watch notifications: app icons not appearing

Since iOS 11/Watch OS 4, my app's icon is not appearing in the short or long look notifications on the Apple Watch. These notifications do not use a custom interface, they are simply notifications mirrored from phone. I have added all possible app icons for the app in the asset catalog (including Apple Watch icons), but the icon is still missing. It looks like an Apple bug to me, but I wanted to ask in case someone knows if there is a solution for this in iOS 11/Watch OS 4. Thanks.

Accepted Reply

watchOS 4.1/ iOS 11.1 resolved this issue for me 🙂

Replies

This (the post from TDH with the stackexchange link) is not the same issue. The issue described on the stackexchange link above relates to icons for Apple Watch apps. The issue described in this thread discusses the app icon in realtime notifications on the Apple Watch for cases where the iPhone app does not have an Apple Watch app. Two separate issues. I too am affected by this thread's issue. Facebook, Snapchat and a couple other iPhone apps, when passing the notification to the Apple Watch does not seem to also pass on the app's icon and the watch shows a wireframe icon or a blank app icon. I've noticed that some other apps which do not have Apple Watch apps (like Boggle) seem to work fine. To me, it seems like the problem is with the app, not necessarily the Apple Watch because some notification icons work and some don't. The ones that work, work consistently. The ones that don't work, don't work consistently. And what's more interesting is that those app's icons appear properly in the missed notification stream (when you pull down from the top), but they don't appear properly for the real-time notification.

Same exact issue. Really hoping they solve this soon.

I am having the same issue and it seems to affect all mirrored notifications. I have contacted Apple Support twice and both times they have wanted me to do a factory reset. I am not losing all of my data because of a bug that can be fixed by an update. I expect these things from Samsung, but definitely not from Apple.

Having this too. I've done a factory reset and it didn't help

Same issue with my Series 2 and iPhone 7+. WatchOS 4 and iOS 11.0.3. I’ve unpaired and repaired and the issue still stands. Any mirrored notifications just show the Icon Wireframe instead of the icon.

Having the same issue lol!

This is the first time apple made a mistake that they didnt imediatley fix...

I hope they fix this too, and I'll be contacting their support line about this.😠

I have been on live chat for over an hour and they have said their engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. I have also submitted a radar report.

Also reported this to Apple. Got told 4.0.1 was available, but it’s not for users of pre series 3 watches. Wanted me to travel to Apple store but they can’t fix it. Hoping there’s an update soon

4.0.1 didn't fix this for me.

I’m Having the exact same issue on my 1st gen Apple Watch. It’s so aggravating and not to mention embarrassing when someone is maybe looking over you or something. I’ve tried rebooting both, uninstalling the apps and nothing works.

Same BS waiting on a solution. I'm assuming it will be an update fix. 😠

I had this same exact problem, for all of my apps. After finding no solution suggested within the forum community, I decided to do a full reset on my watch, and restore from the most recent back-up.

After doing this, I can absolutely confirm that this fixed the issue. All of my app icons are now successfully showing.

watchOS 4.1/ iOS 11.1 resolved this issue for me 🙂

me too, thank goodness! : )