Open Safari after Captive Network Assistant authentication

We're proving a free *****-access WiFi network.

• Users select the WiFi hotpsot in Settings > WiFi

• Captive Network Assistant tear sheet pops up

• Users log-in via the Captive Network Assistant and are authenticated

• Users can click "Done" button top-right of the CNA tear sheet to close it - or Users can click on the captive portal content to view web pages

What we'd like - and we have seen this before - is to open any web content in Safari rather than in the CNA micro-browser in the tear sheet.

It used to be the case that if one provided a full URL as a link, once the CNA was connected [eg. you see the "Done" button top-right] clicking in this link would open web content up in Safari.

Now this functionality seems deprectated.

This is a major issue as it means once users are logged-in we cannot offer them links to other areas of the capitve portal, such as news or service updates. They're just dropped back into Settings > WiFi and would then need to manually boot Safari and visit more pages. Not a great user experience.

Any ideas? Seems like there are quite a few threads on this but with no definitive answers from Apple.

Replies

CNA is so unpredicatable.

For the clients with iOS 11.x, it is VERY VERY annoying.

Open a link or an App in CNA, the CNA does NOT close!!

Is there any possible to close CNA manually?😠

wilkin wrote:

It is still not fixed in iOS 11.1 beta 4.

Indeed. However, we just started seeding iOS 11.2 beta releases and there has been some captive network changes there. Specifically, one of AlasdairScott’s bugs (r. 34657459) got closed as a dup of (r. 34227312) which is reportedly fixed in this seed. Please give it a whirl and let us know what you think.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi Eskimo, thank you for your response.

I did some quick tests, it seems the problem is solved in iOS 11.2 beta.

So, well done Apple - big improvements in the full release of 11.2 to the point where we're seeing Safari open links from the CNA Tear Sheet once the user has a live Internet connection. Eskimo, you have our deepest thanks for pushing this through. I fully intend to purchase you a beer or other beverage at WWDC this year.

Yay!

So, has this issue actually been resolved? I'm still seeing the issue from 11.2.2 devices.

Hi, Can you please advise if this has been indeed resolve, as I still observe the issue with 11.2.6? Are you aware of any workaround? Thanks a lot in advance

Hi eskimo,

I've tested on iOS 11.4.1 (15G77) and found that it does not work anymore. Versions 11.2.x were OK. Is there any way I can help (provide some example, test etc.) to get it back working?

Thanks

I see some Captive Portals today doing it, when the captive portal is called it pop-up to open the iOS default browser, then the whole process continues from there.

How is it done? I don’t find any documentation around it

Thanks

• This issue is back on iOS 15. Captive portals no longer launches Safari

Add a Comment