Promo Code Issues - "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

We are preparring for release of our new app and have sent promo codes out to reviewers and bloggers. They are all receiving the error "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" when they try to redeem the code. The app is approved and set to Pending Developer Release.

Is there an issue with the store, or have promo codes changed since we used them last?

Replies

Might be a change, but this is the first I've heard so far. Have you tried yourself? Are they all still within the 30 day use window allowed after being generated?

You may want to release it to the store but take it off sale in all countries - try that, wait a few hours and then have them check again.

Just remember that not all apps are avaliable in all countries, which can in some examples result in failed redeems.

Do you have an old version of the app already installed? Deleting the app then redeeming the code worked for me. It's unfortunate that for this scenario Apple displays the unhelpful error message "Error Cannot connect to iTunes Store".

This was the problem for me. I deleted the Testflight version and the promo codes worked straight away. 😀

Sometimes users have this issue if they are using Mobile data, but have turned off the option for iTunes Store to use Mobile data (under Settings > Mobile).