macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware"

macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware".

I have MacBookAir 6.2 13" with MBA 61.0099.B22. With 10.12.6 beta is no problem.

Replies

I had the same problem when trying to update from 10.12.6, throwing me the 'error while verifying firmware'. I tried numerous methods that were posted on this forum as well as elsewhere online, but all with no luck. My set-up is a Macbook Pro 13' inch mid-2012 where I've replaced the CD/DVD bay with an SSD (EVO 840) as primary start-up disk. Last year the SATA cable connecting the motherboard and the HDbecame faulty so I decided to use the HD as an external HD using an USB connector, leaving the original HD bay empty. Using this set-up I was not able to install High Sierra.

However, today I replaced the broken SATA cable and placed my orignal HD back into the HD bay. The SSD still functions as primary start up disk. Using this set-up (primary SSD in CD/DVD bay, secondary HD in original HD bay) I am able to install High Sierra.

Hopefully this helps someone. I am not sure what the problem was exactly, but it obviously had something to do with an empty HD bay and/or a faulty SATA cable.

Regards,

Dirk

I also could not install High Sierra's beta and its final version but had no problems before with the betas and the final of macos Sierra. The HD of my late 2012 27 inch died a bit more than 18 months after the purchase. Since then am I using an external SSD (Transcend). No proplems, as mentioned before, with macOS Sierra, only no chance with High Sierra. Probably have to exchange the broken HD.

I suspected this was the issue for me and reading your post confirms it.

After having 3 SATA cables fail me, I got fed up and put my primary HDD in a CD/DVD bay kit.

Do you know if the harddrive in the HDD bay has to be the original for this to work, or can I just use any formatted disc connected via SATA cable? I ask because installing/removing the CD/DVD HDD kit is a huge headache and I'd rather not have to remove it only to put it back once High Sierra is installed.

Cheers,

I struggled too with the firmware error during High Sierra install, when trying to install on a new SSD. Started off where it wouldn't install Mountain Lion from Internet recovery UNLESS I had the new SSD attached via a USB docking station. That should have told me to replace the cable first then try again.

I reset PRAM, SMC, formatted the drive umpteen different ways, used tons of different install media (Internet/USB drive/DVD drive) etc...but would always get the firmware error. I even updated the SSD firmware using Samsung's tool. All this time, the SSD was connected using the USB docking station.

I eventually ordered a new hard drive cable and installed the SSD properly. Then Mountain Lion upgraded to High Sierra first time.