iOS 11 Simulator unusable slow

Hi,

the iOS 11 Simulator is unusable slow for me when using MKMapKit. I'm getting <= 1 FPS with major UI lag when:

- Running an app using MKMapView

- Running the preinstalled Maps app

I'm on High Sierra (17A315i), using Retina MBP Mid 2012, Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000 / GeForce GT 650M.

iOS 10.x Simulators are working fine with Xcode 9.

Replies

I'm pleased to report this bug is fixed in Xcode 9.1 beta 2.

MKMapView interactions are better, but still much slower on iPhone X iOS 11.1b2 simulator than iPhone 7 iOS 10.3.1 simulator.

The Simulator uses a software-based OpenGL renderer so its performance will be poor.

Specifically, the MapKit in iOS 11 makes heavier use of OpenGL than the version in iOS 10.3. Since the simulator is currently limited to CPU for all rendering, that extra burden translates into lower framerate.

The issue that was fixed in 11.1 Beta 2 was the bug in OpenGL itself that was preventing JIT from being used.

If you feel that the current state (even with the OpenGL fix made in beta 2) is not good enough for development, I strongly urge you to file radars.

I have the same question

please explain how to replace the file. Through terminal? please give the syntax!

You don't need to anymore. Grab Xcode 9.1 beta2

It works a treat from what I've seen so far.

It will be even better when 9.1 is released formally though so that we can sign our binaries for submission.

@jeremyhu

Thanks for these updates. Really pleased to have 9.1b2 to test with. I can now get stuck into all my updates.

Is there anyway to get iOS 11 Simulator running in Xcode 8? It seems Xcode 9 is so buggy and simulator for iOS 11 doesn't work that the logical thing to do would be to run it in Xcode 8. But I can't find any docs on how to do this...only docs on how to support iOS 11 for device builds, not simulator builds.

If anyone knows, please show me the way.

My advice would be to download and install Xcode 9.1 beta 2 from the member center. The ios11 sim in that works fine (for me). I’ve got the 9.0GM installed now for binary signing and 9.1b2 installed for testing and debugging.

We are Unity developers and we are testing a very empty project in iPhoneX simulator (only display few images), CPU 100% usage and every click need 10s to response.....

Using:

Unity 5.6.3p4

Xcode 9.0 (9A235)

macOS 10.12.6

1.1Ghz Core m3 CPU

8GB RAM

Get Xcode 9.1beta2 from the member center.

I've been paying attention to this thread because I've had the problem with the iPhone X simulator being unusably slow under Xcode 9. Unfortunately I was not able to snag a copy of the beta that had a working version of libCoreVMClient.dylib, but I found that copying over the one from 9.1beta2 fixed the problem.

Today I updated to Xcode 9.0.1 and the problem was back in full force, despite "Simulator improvements for iPhone X" being mentioned in the release notes. I had to go back to the beta's copy of the .dylib file again to fix it.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 on a late 2011 MacBook Pro 17 inch.

I can confirm that Xcode 9.0.1 does NOT fix the issue. MKMapView still slow. Xcode 9.1 beta 2 DOES fix it.

While XCode 9.1 beta 2 at least allows mapkit to run at a reasonable speed, I'm still getting issues with the simulator generating dozens of console error messages as follows:

2017-10-23 21:40:29.867748+0100 XXXXX [9914:159503] [VKDefault] Tile 10556.25433.16 (128) in current unloaded state for 0.00 seconds - Raster Overlays Above Labels - Failed to decode (terminal) (0.00 sec)

This is extremely annoying because it's impossible to comb through my console output to get to debugging statements that I'm trying to review. Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?