High Sierra GM installation keeps failing with "com.apple.DiskManagement error 0"

Hi,

High Sierra GM installation failed with an "com.apple.DiskManagement error 0" message.

It offers me a "Restart" button so that I can retry the installation, but without option to change anything I just get again into the installation and it fails with the same error message.

I have a Mac Mini with a 1 TB HD, so I understand the install isn't trying a conversion to APFS (which went incredibly well in my MacBook with an SSD, by the way).

How can I get out of this loop and return to good old Sierra I had before?

Is there an easier solution than recovery and restore from Time Machine?

Att

Replies

same problem as others And wasting hours of time. Did this convert to APFS process leave your files intact?

Same exact problem here.. diskmanagement error loop.. iMacLate2012, spinning 1TB HDD

Now, I'm in the process of creating a backup via DiskUtility in RecoveryMode before I dare and try the "convert to APFS" route that's been suggested here.

Still, I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea to have my main machine run on APFS if it's not meant to be used with older spinning hard drives, yet..

Also: Why on earth is HighSierra trying to convert my drive to APFS during the installation, in the freaking first place? Didn't see an option to opt-out of that conversion either.

Second day now that I can't work on my main machine.. This really stinks, like, a lot.

I believe that the check-box to opt in/out of conversion was in the betas but not the release version. Could anyone confirm this?

I have a question - is there anyone here who successfully installed High Sierra on a Mac with a HDD, and who didn't have to convert to APFS? In other words, is the conversion actually compulsory now?

Peter, I never installed any of the betas, but I am 90+% sure there was no option to opt-in/out of the AFPS conversion in the final Mac App store version.

I have also successfully installed (after much work), 10.13 onto my 2012 Mac Pro that contains three HDDs. During a botched install, I noticed a config file in one of the folders on the target drive that set the conversion to AFPS to false. Ultimately, no conversion was ever made and my final 10.13 drive is still on 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

In my case, I repeatedly got a 'com.apple.DiskManagement error 0' during installation over my 10.12 install. That left things un-repairable (at least I nor AppleCare found any solution to fixing that).

My solution was to prepare a blank partition, install 10.13 fresh (which worked). Then, use Apple's Migration Assistant to restore via a Time Machine backup. Again, no part of my install processes (the three failed attempts or the final working attempt) were any of my drives converted to AFPS.

I was stuck in this loop with early 2011 MacBook Pro with hdd. I did the recorvery mode restart, and used disk utility to first repair the disk ( some errors had crept n) and then did the convert to APFS format given that some found success with. It was fast.

THe install OS option from recovery mode then worked and everything is fine.

ITs strange that this isn't worked into the install software, since this problem was first identified in June.

Just to be clear: APFS is _not_ officially supported on spinning HDDs for a reason. Converting your HDD to APFS in order to get High Sierra installed might cause some serious problems down the road.

That's basically turning your main machine into a ticking data time bomb. Isn't it?

If so, we should not promote that as a solution here.

Sure, clean-installing High Sierra and recovering your data from a backup via MigrationAssistant (or manually) takes way longer,

but it's sure seems like the smarter and safer way to go. Doesn't it?

I do agree with what you say about safety. But, for the record, as far as I can tell, APFS is supported on HDD, it's just that it's optimized for SSDs.

See link:

APFS Guide: FAQ

Thanks for the link, Peter! I'm in the middle of giving APFS a shot now, after all. Since my own backup is only a clone of the stuck-in-installation-loop state, it probably won't work with/for MigrationAssistant (judging from the description of similar cases). So, in order to hopefully end up with a bootable system that I can create yet another backup of and restore from, later on, I'm willing to give AFPS on my HDD a try. That's a plain out-of-desperation move, though. Still wouldn't advise anyone to do that, if you don't have a separate backup of your HFS+ drive in place, already.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I think I have a solution, same error on my Late 2012 MBP 500GB HD.

On boot, hold down 'option key' and wait until startup manager launches.

select 'Macintosh HD' to Boot (or the HD where sierra is installed)

It took a bit longer to boot than normal, but it booted into Sierra.

I had exactly the same issue, using Imac 27' late 2013, 1TB HDD. At the end of High sierra install process there was this cryptic error message and that's it. I figured my only option was restoring from Timemachine. now i'm back, 20 hours later. I won't try that again.

I noticed that High Sierra in the App Store now has 'Updated: 05 October 2017' but still 'Version: 10.13' - does anyone know how to tell what, if anything, has been changed?

i ran into the same thing, where the install fails, and then rebooting gives a kernel panic, but I found I only had to run disk utility from recovery and first aid to check/fix the existing hfs+ volume on my hdd. I did NOT have to convert my hd to apfs as some have suggested doing. I then used restore os from recovery mode, it then installed fine, no loss of data at all. After going thru that, on my other machine (also with a hdd) I simply did the first aide before starting the install, and cleaned out the system cache just to be sure. I was able to run the high sierra installer from the store directly without any issues...also retaining hfs+.

This solved my issue.

By using the ‘Convert to APFS’ in the disk utillity rather than formatting, all my data as preserved.

Then the update completed successful.

This is on an iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

I wanted to mention that I got this error message when I first did the installation to my 2012 Mac Mini. I needed to restore with Time Machine. After the latest update I redownloaded High Sierra and loaded it to a USB drive to do an external drive installation. This time the installtion worked without any problem.

I would look up how to install from USB drive if you still have problems.