High Sierra asking for ‘disk password’ and won’t accept any

i Have an APFS volume high Sierra install and for some reason it rebooted/went to sleep over night.

now it’s asking for a ‘disk password‘ and won’t let me in. I converted a filevault 2 volume from HPFS+ to APFS and everything Was working.

I’ve tried the MacOS password, Apple ID Password, FileVault recovery key, and iCloud recovery key and none let me in. What password does it need?

Replies

Anybody else getting "did not recognize verb "apfs" " in Terminal?

Scratch that. I've discovered that booting with CMD+R offers an installer back to Lion whilst booting win CMD+OPT+R offers an installer for High Sierra. This version of Terminal has the "apfs" verb. So, it seems my drive has already converted to apfs so I'm trying the install again.

Hello,

I have just fixed my MacBook Pro 2015 after chatting with Apple and the actual command I had to run - as I had the user account missing issue - was this:

diskutil apfs updatePreboot “/Volumes/Macintosh HD” -od “/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Recovered Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default”

***There is a space between Recovered and Items***

Please note I had no issues with running first aid on my drive, I just got the DISK PASSWORD prompt after trying to install High Sierra

Once I ran that command and restarted the installation continues for about 20 mins, it then restarted and I saw my actual login screen

Hopefully this will help someone in the same situation as me, as the other stuff on this forum did not work but as you will see it is quite close to the command apple gave me which is ran via RECOVERY boot and opening Terminal 🙂

LeighLeigh,

This appears to work correctly, thank you for being clear and concise, especially with the space between Recovered/Items.

Just a note, there's going to be a lot of frustrated users that aren't familiar with terminal commands so maybe we should be clear about the Macintosh HD portion. It is probably that way on 100% out of the box Macbooks but if you have a used MacBook or you have upgraded the Harddrive there is a possibility that it is named something else. In my case my HD is named M4 SSD. So when you look up your disk in the Disk Utility look up the number disk2s1 and the actual name of the disk, because if you tell it to go to Macintosh HD and your disk is named SpongeBob, no go John Wayne. So in my case it was:

diskutil apfs updatePreboot “/Volumes/M4 SSD (ACTUAL NAME)” -od “/Volumes/M4 SSD (ACTUAL NAME)/Recovered (SPACE) Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default” *NOTHING IN () IS WRITTEN IN THE TERMINAL

Also maybe we should note there are a couple of different issues here. This works for the Disk Password Issue when it says NO USERS FOUND, but there are what? Two other issues?

Many thanks to everyone who shared solutions, this is a super frustrating update.

So I tried to run this but instead I got another error. 69836: Couldn't find database of user accounts. What should I do?

Jinsung and raulrincon thank you so much. Hopefully this issue gets resolved in future versions of the installer.

During the macos upgrading, I encountered the same issue as "Disk password" required, but password didn't work.

I fixed it with below commands:

Steps:

1. Issue commands "diskutil apfs list" to find out the APFS volume disk name like "disk1s1".

For Macbook pro, the mount point should be "

/Volumes/Macintosh HD
"

For Macbook air, the mount point should be "/Volumes/air"

Let's suppose the APFS volume disk is "disk1s1", and you use Macbook pro(the mount point is "

/Volumes/Macintosh HD
").

2. Issue the following commands to unlock the disk

diskutil apfs unlockvolume disk1s1

3. Issue the following commands to updatePreboot for this disk

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s1

4. Check the error message, you may get error code as "error=-69569"

5. Issue the following one line commands to updatePreboot, check the command carefully again and again.

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Recovered\ Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

After the command issued successfully. hard reboot the macbook, restart. Problem fixed!😉😎😁

Hi, I've already tried doing it your way but now appears another error

Error: -69836: Couldn't find database of user accounts

Could you help me please.

Hi Jinsung.

I've already tried doing it your way

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Recovered\ Items/Private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

But now I get another error

Error: -69836: Couldn't find database of user accounts

Could you help me please.

Yay!!! This worked for me. Thank you so much!

I have the same error, please help us..

Hi, I am having the same problem and instead opted to decrypt my drive. The decryption was successful, it took me almost 16 hours. Then after that, I restarted and the installation proceeded. But the installation was not successful. What should I do next? Should I try reinstalling in recovery mode, or should I backup my drive then perform a clean install? Reinstalling high sierra requires a mac os journaled file system? If that so, how can I backup my drive in recovery mode so that I can reformat my drive to hfs+? I was not able to create a backup before... Any reply or help will bw very much appreciated.

My drive is already converted to apfs... I would like to know if I can still recover data from my drive. I wasn't able to do croaker's method before because I couldn't find the directory, but during the decryption process, I was able to locate it. After the installation proceeded, when I try to restart, my mbp now shows a circle with slash during startup. My drive is ok when I run first aid. I was asked to run diagnostics and showed that my drive has no issues..

What worked for me was having my mbp brought to an authorized apple service center. My drive was backed up using target disk, and then clean install of high sierra.

For those like me who updated with no backup and ended up with the decryption paused this is what worked for me, and allowed me to recover all my info. I took a High Sierra USB install disk, and Installed High Sierra on to an External drive. Took about 3 hours to fully install. Upon the start up I was given the Migration Option to which I chose to migrate from my Encrypted(By the High Sierra install) SSD drive. Fortunately for me when it asked for the FileVault password, I used the password for my user account (this also worked to mount the disk in diskutility). I copied over all the info on the SSD to the External startup. Next I erased my SSD, Installed High Sierra then Migrated everything back on to the SSD from the External Harddrive. Hope this works for someone. Ive been frustrated for days and almost wiped my drive with no back up.