Open Safari after Captive Network Assistant authentication

We're proving a free *****-access WiFi network.

• Users select the WiFi hotpsot in Settings > WiFi

• Captive Network Assistant tear sheet pops up

• Users log-in via the Captive Network Assistant and are authenticated

• Users can click "Done" button top-right of the CNA tear sheet to close it - or Users can click on the captive portal content to view web pages

What we'd like - and we have seen this before - is to open any web content in Safari rather than in the CNA micro-browser in the tear sheet.

It used to be the case that if one provided a full URL as a link, once the CNA was connected [eg. you see the "Done" button top-right] clicking in this link would open web content up in Safari.

Now this functionality seems deprectated.

This is a major issue as it means once users are logged-in we cannot offer them links to other areas of the capitve portal, such as news or service updates. They're just dropped back into Settings > WiFi and would then need to manually boot Safari and visit more pages. Not a great user experience.

Any ideas? Seems like there are quite a few threads on this but with no definitive answers from Apple.

Replies

@eskimo please guys ... fix this! It is very annoying.

It appears that iOS 11.0 [15A278f] pre-release build now reverts back to how 10.2.x used to work and once authenticated, a direct link will open in Safari.

YAY, THANK YOU APPLE!

Hopefully this remains the case for the GM release of iOS 11 :-)

I just wanted to provide some general guidance here.

AFAICT all of the problems described here are related to built-in components of the system, that is, the captive network sheet and Safari. This makes them somewhat outside of the scope of DevForums, where the focus is on APIs [1]. It’s fine to discuss user-level stuff here, but you’re unlikely to find folks who are experts in that field.

As AlasdairScott pointed out, there have been some improvements in this space in recent releases. I encourage you to retest your setup with the latest pre-release system software, both minor releases (like the current iOS 10.3.3 beta 5) and major releases (like iOS 11 beta 2).

If the problem you’re seeing is not fixed in the latest major release, you should file a bug about it (unless you’ve already done so, in which case thanks!). I realise that there’s a number of bugs on file already about this issue, but your own bug report will ensure that your specific case is covered.

Please post the numbers of any bugs you file, just for the record

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

[1] There is a supported API for interacting with the captive network subsystem, namely NEHotSpotHelper, but AFAICT that’s not what we’re discussing here.

I tested the bahavior of CNA again in the iOS 11 GM released yesterday.

The direct link is opened in Safari, but the CNA does not close itself now.

The user will need to tap "Done" to proceed.

Do you meet the same problem?

Yes, I'm getting the same behavior. It's the same behavior of public beta8 and public beta9.

In my captive portal, when I conclude the login procedure if i click on a link inside the CNA, link is opened in Safari but underneath the CNA and is shown only when the user taps on "Done".

Is this behavior intended or not?

@eskimo I know that this forum is intended for discussions about APIs, I just wanted to make sure if this behavior is intended or not and if not, then submit a bug.

Thank you for your reply.

Everyone who met the problem please submit bug report to Apple via the "feedback" app in iOS 11 GM, thanks!

I know that this forum is intended for discussions about APIs, I just wanted to make sure if this behavior is intended or not and if not, then submit a bug.

Here’s the thing: it doesn’t matter if the behaviour is intended — if something is giving you grief then it’s always bugworthy.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks Quinn - I've reported this via Apple Bug Reporter for iOS GM. [Bug # 34657459]

Most anoyingly it was fixed and 100% working on the beta releases, then for GM seems to introduce brand new behaviour that's unepxected and negatively affects the User Exprience.

It means users are far less likely to notice that once they have logged-in they've been directed to a specifically chosen page with full Safari functionality.

We will continue testing and trying various solutions but looking at this thread, none of the lovely folks here have found anything to solve it!

Upgraded to iOS 11.1 beta today. The CNA behavior is still the same as 11.0. 😢

I submitted feedback again.

Yes, this behaviour is really a nonsense and not possibile that this is "as intended".

Please fix guys. Where can I submit a bug or push/follow this # 34657459 ??

Many thanks

You can submit bug report here (https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/) or by the feedback app if you are using iOS beta version.

You cannot track the status of bug report submitted by others since it is private, the closet thing to it is submit your own bug report and wait till Apple updates it as "duplicate of bug #***".

Tested in iOS 11.1 beta 2 developer release and the bug still persists.

Submitted feedback again, but none of my feedback gets any response:

iOS 11.1 beta 2: #3756760

iOS 11.1 beta 1: #3707941

iOS 11.0 GM: #3633290

do you fill a bug report? Or do I open it?

Hi,

for safety I filled the bug report #35059606 for iOS 11.0.3

Thanks!

It is still not fixed in iOS 11.1 beta 4.

What should we do???