Upload iOS 11 Apps: app icon failure

Hi everyone,

I am getting the following errors about App Icon while I try to upload a build with Xcode 9 beta 6 for testing purposes with TestFlight.

iTunes Store Operation Failed
description length:6193045

ERROR ITMS-90022: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly '120x120' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '76x76' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '167x167' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions supporting iPad Pro."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '152x152' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."

This is an app, that we submit at least every two weeks and the app icons didn't change this year. Checked the bundle and it contains the app icons and they are png with the correct size.

Any advice?

Replies

This worked for me, but I also get the marketing icon error. Will it work regardless of that errror to submit for beta app review?

But the question is, why did it start breaking for everyone? We clearly (at least I do) have the required icon assets in the .xcassets file. This is the first time I've tried to upload since updating to High Sierra.

I built a new version of my app under High Sierra, XCode 9. Then I built an archive; it validated and then I submitted it to the App Store. At the very end of the upload I got the Missing Marketing Icon warning. Soon thereafter I got an email from iTunesConnect with the same warning. iTunesConnect help suggested I use the Application Loader, which I did with the same results.

However, I also got a 2nd email stating the first upload had been processed and could be submitted to the App Store. Sure enough the build appeared in iTunesConnect -> My Apps. After selecting it, the app was ready to be submitted for review, which I did with no issues; the status of the app was now Waiting for Review.

I can only conclude the Warning is bogus and can be ignored.

I had problem with missing iPad icons in iPhone only app.
I spent a lot of time and finally found the problem.

Fixed by removing

CFBundleIcons~ipad
key from info.plist

Hope it will help somebody.

I had this problem today for the first time, when performing my first Archive after upgrading to Xcode 9.1 beta (9B37). My Mac OS is 10.12.6.

I found that my relevant icon was in fact 1069x1069. This used to work but apparently does not anymore. I used Preview to tweak down the resolution and the "Missing Icon" error went away.

Seems to be fixed by Apple.

My upload is fine now - without any changes!

I think it has to do with the cocoapods version. I was in cocoapods version 1.3.1 and the same issue occured to me. I downgraded the pods to version 1.2.1. And the issue is gone.

Same build was validated and uploaded to the iTunes Connect Successfully

When we submit for the beta review, we got this error message today😮

"The app bundle must contain an app icon for iPhone"

I am also having this "The app bundle must contain an app icon for iPhone" when submitting for beta review. Any soluion found as of yet?

Has anyone tried 9.1 Beta to see if this fixes the issue? I've managed to get all my apps to upload by editing the .plist but the Apple Watch versions of all my apps crash on startup and were fine using Xcode 8 and iOS 10

We have uploaded successful without modifying anything about app icons, Apple must have fixed something.

PS :

These Cocoapods workaroud might be helpful https://github.com/CocoaPods/CocoaPods/issues/7003#issuecomment-328045681

Submitted successfully since 10 Oct, no change to the setup at all since last time failure on 29 Sep.

Here is my setup:

• High Sierra 10.13 Public
  • Xcode 9 Public
  • CocoaPods 1.0.1

Run in iOS11, APP obtain the app-icon from Assets.car, but before iOS11, APP obtain it from root directory.

If you use cocoapods, just do like https://github.com/CocoaPods/CocoaPods/issues/7003.

else if you controll assets by yourself, you need add params at actool, just like this:

xcrun actool ${assets_directory} --platform iphoneos --minimum-deployment-target 7.0 --compile ${asset_car_folder} --app-icon ${app_icon_name} --output-partial-info-plist ${partial_info_plist_folder}

This is work for me!

I just tried again and it's working now. Apple seems to have fixed the issue on their end. 🙂

But.. a few minutes later I received an email saying:

This bundle is invalid - Your archive contains paths that are not allowed: ( "AppThinning.plist" )

😟

I had the correct icons in my bundle, but was also getting the app rejected.

In my case, I had forgotten to list them all in the build.settings file. Once I did that it worked OK.

I still have this issue with the latest Xcode 9 (just regular release, no beta or anything) and High Sierra.Stubyte's workaround still works.