High Sierra asking for ‘disk password’ and won’t accept any

i Have an APFS volume high Sierra install and for some reason it rebooted/went to sleep over night.

now it’s asking for a ‘disk password‘ and won’t let me in. I converted a filevault 2 volume from HPFS+ to APFS and everything Was working.

I’ve tried the MacOS password, Apple ID Password, FileVault recovery key, and iCloud recovery key and none let me in. What password does it need?

Replies

I didn't have this problem. I think it's none business with startup disk. When i start my macbook with recovery mode. I can choose to install high Sierra, which is the second choice. And then it just starts to install the new system

I have the same problem! 😢

if you can make a question in forum and i join you. it’s bad and no one can’t help us. svahdati71@gmail.com

Thank you! I'm finally getting - an overall error of 0.
Now, can I reboot directly from the terminal (if yes, how) or should I Restart the Mac and press Option key to enter to the Startup Manager and then select the boot drive?

UPDATE: So I waited all night nothing changed I rebooted it did it again I went back into the boot terminal again did the same steps and got this again.

Thinking: I cannot believe this was released to the public!

I tried the -od option but there isnt a Recovered Items folder. I will try this again but it appears that I have lost everything

Great time to switch back to Linux.

UPDATE:I did the following and it worked:
1. Boot into recovery mode (command + R) at boot
2. Select Terminal from the Utilities Menu (Following croakers steps here)
3. diskutil apfs list
4. diskutil apfs unlockvolume disk2s1 (My Machintosh HD drive from list)
5. diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk2s1 (To see if I get any errors ((error=(0=success)))
6. diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk2s1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default - Important here -
This is the step I was missing! This worked without any errors

Note: In the other posts I was seeing a "Recovery\ Items" folder in which I didnt have one but this step was crucial to making this work. It was stated that you need to find the path to your user folder (plist)

After I did the above I closed the terminal, slected reboot from the menu. It rebooted normally and asked for my password and it worked it started the status bar thing again but in 5 minutes it resumed upgrading to High Sierra it then displayed a 15 Minute timer for installing and its now working

I hope this helps you all - try this Before decrypting the drive save you some time

One more thing:

After completing the HS upgrade, I attempted to do a Time Machine backup of my system but could not backup because FireVault is decrypting "Machintosh HD".

Since I use this as a secure device I am considering turning FireVault back on. <- Thoughts?

I am also still considering moving away from this OE

When updating the Preboot, you need to specify which drive to use for the operation. For example: If your main drive is "disk3s1" you'd write:

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk3s1 -od /Volume/Macintosh\ HD/Recovered\ Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

That is what did the trick for me. I was able to complete installation and backup my files just in case. This was btw using the official High Sierra installer from the App store, the download finished and my MacBook restarted. When it tried to install it gave me an error, rebooted again and booted to a Folder Icon with a Question Mark in it.

Best of luck.

I have the same problem and if I try to reinstall the sistem in recovery mode, I can’t select the hard-disk because it’s in decrypting mode. In terminal, using apfs list, I can see decrypting 0.0 % (paused). I’m blocked and I don’t know how to solve... someone can help us please? All previuos indication works fine without errors.

Hi guys,

I have been browsing this post for a while to find the solution working for me.

I did the convert to apfs on my 2011 macbook pro, and got the -69569 error related to the open directory user DB.

I tried everything, am able to unlock the volume, and started decrypting the disk.

this is now paused at 10%, and even running a full night did not make it progress any further. I have rebooted the system, and did the update preboot, still gives me the same error.

Tried decypt volume Disk2s1, this gives me the error 69573 given volume is already decrypting.

I don't know how to make the system continue.

I do not feel confifent enough to copy files from location a to location b, this exeeds my knowledge of unix instructions

I'm exactly at the same point paused at 10%

Hi Scot,

I used your instructions, they where very helpful. It did took me a while to work out the thing when having a space in the name of a disk "Rick\ disk".

I did every steps, to find my system still gave me the error related to the open directory user db. This is maybe related to the fact that I did not quite understood the last part of your post, where you explain a number of things, however not including the instruction on how to do that.

f you see errors while updatePreboot is considering the Open Directory User ensure your unlocked APFS volume is mounted and readable. It must have access to the local Open Directory search path (/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default) to build a list of authorized users (AdminUserRecoveryInfo.plist) and an access token (secureaccesstoken.plist) and copy them onto the Preboot volume (/Volumes/Preboot/6AAC9D56-EC44-38B3-9C50-1D6DA3020377/var/db/).

Is it possible you to explain this a bit more.

Now I am at the point where my disk is decryting, and having it "paused" at 10%, typing the command again result in the error -69573 volume is already decrypting.

Rick

I just did my upgrade to macOS High Sierra with a volume that had FileVault2 enabled and had this happen (prompt for disk password but would not accept any password). I ultimately called AppleCare... they had a note on the issue.

The solution was:

Boot into the recovery OS by

- Power off the Mac

- Press-and-hold CMD+R while powering on and wait for the machine to boot.

- Select "Disk Utility"

Within Disk Utility

- Select your internal volume (e.g. "Macintosh HD" unless you've renamed it)

- Select the "Mount" icon (along the top)

It will prompt for a disk password but this time YOUR normal login account password will work and the volume will mount.

Take note of the "Device" name (there's a table with information about the mounted volume... the device name will be in the lower right corner). The device name may be something like "disk2s1" - write it down... you need to know that device name for the next step.

Exit Disk Utility

Select the "Utilities" menu along the top and pick the "Terminal" app.

Within the terminal window you are now at a root prompt.

Type (at the root prompt #): diskutil apfs updatePreboot name-of-device

e.g. if your device was 'disk2s1' then the command would be: diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk2s1

That will take a moment (you'll see pages of messages fly by). Once you see the root prompt (#) return, it's ready.

Reboot your mac. You're done!

The mac should now boot normally (altough if you're just upgraded to macOS High Sierra then you'll get the normal set of screens that appear the first time you log in after the upgrade... e.g. it'll probably ask you to login to your iCloud account, etc. etc.)

This post, which worked for me, is a simpler version of the helpul post by Croakey above.

However, my “pages of messages going by“, toward the end included an error -6595 which needed to be addressed for things to work.

To address the error I followed the instructions kindly posted by jinsung. To be very specific the command that work for me is as follows:

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk2s1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Recovered\ Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

I am not a developer so I was trying to piece things together from the postings and execute things mechsnicslly. For people like me I will point out a couple things:

- the backslash is required to precede spaces in directory names. E.g. Macintosh HD Is Macintosh\ HD.

- There is some chance you’re directory path won’t be the same as mine. The “cd” and “ls” commands in the Terminal utility can help. “Cd” changes your location to whatever folder name you type after it, and ”ls“ lists the files and folders. “cd ..” takes you back Up one level in the folder hierarchy. Using these commands you can find the location of db/dslocal/nodes/Default specific to you.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this issue. I'm very disappointed with Apple. I'm in Terminal from a Recovery Boot but typing "diskutil apfs" returns "did not recognize verb "apfs" Where does that leave me?