High Sierra GM installation keeps failing with "com.apple.DiskManagement error 0"

Hi,

High Sierra GM installation failed with an "com.apple.DiskManagement error 0" message.

It offers me a "Restart" button so that I can retry the installation, but without option to change anything I just get again into the installation and it fails with the same error message.

I have a Mac Mini with a 1 TB HD, so I understand the install isn't trying a conversion to APFS (which went incredibly well in my MacBook with an SSD, by the way).

How can I get out of this loop and return to good old Sierra I had before?

Is there an easier solution than recovery and restore from Time Machine?

Att

Replies

Has anyone saved a log from a failed install? I had a look at mine and it was no clearer what the actual problem was. Then I forgot to save it. However, in the log viewer there's an option to send the log to Apple, which I did. Hopefully if they get a few of these sent in, they will be able to fix the issue.

Also - I upgraded a 2013 MBP yesterday, worked flawlessly. Maybe it is only affecting older models or models with spinning disks?

I have the same issue. I have MBP (Early 2011). I was upgrading to 10.12.6 and after installation the Mac was hung at Apple logo when the progress bar reached the end. I waited for 12 hours. Then tried the recovery mode, Sierra was unavailable. Tried installing the High Sierra from recovery mode only to get the above error. Now, I cannot go back to Sierra nor I can get High Sierra. This is really frustrating.

Same problem apple!

I have the same problem with an old-ish iMac 21". High Sierra installed fine on an even older 21" 512G iMac, and on a MacBook Pro. I'm restoring from a TimeMachine backup and I'll check the EFI firmware once the restore is (finally) done. I don't think High Sierra is quite ready for prime time at this juncture.

Same problem here on my iMac 27.

I have checked the log file: Looks like the APFS conversion is failing and then throws this error.

You can check this in the installer menu under window->protocol

I was stuck in the restart loop for almost two days with the High Sierra installer failing and returning the DiskManagement error. I've just now broken the cycle. Here's what worked for me: 1. Procure a copy of both the El Capitan and macOS Sierra installers. El Capitan may be unnecessary, but it worked for me. 2. Install El Capitan on an external drive and drop the Sierra installer app into its Applications folder. 3. Boot your machine from the El Capitan drive and run the Sierra installer to install it on your messed-up drive. Now I can boot in Sierra as it was before this nightmare began. It seems, on initial inspection, to have removed all the High Sierra installer junk, but has kept documents, desktop, downloads folder contents etc I'll post if any weirdness emerges when I dig deeper. Good luck, people.

*** important *** Forgot to add in the above ... when you boot in El Capitan, jump into your messed up drive and take a backup of your user account data and files, just in case!!

Same issue here. iMac 21” 2012 (1TB HDD). Reboot loop. Nothing I can do...

Ok here is how I fixed it,

1 - Start in recovery with ALT+CMD+R

2 - Go to disk utility

3 - Convert the volume to APFS

4 - Retart the installation

The install was really slow like 2/3h but in the end it worked without anything lost

I could not re-boot in recovery or safe mode.

Finally this is how i fixed it.

1. Disk Utility, Edit>Convert to APFS for hard drive

2. Create bootable USB for High Sierra https://www.imore.com/how-create-bootable-installer-mac-operating-system-high-sierra

3. Reboot from the USB using Terminal http://macstuff.beachdogs.org/blog/?p=14

I tried this but converting the target volume to APFS would erase it. Any way around that?

Hi. I have solved the problem.

Steps

1. Turn on with command + R

2. Disk Utility > 'Convert to APFS'
3. Re-install the OS

Done. Cheers 🙂

Sanjith - this is very similar to jdelaire's answer above.

Do you have a hard disk or an SSD?

Did the conversion to APFS preserve the contents of your disk?

Thanks in advance.

*** APPLE?!!! Down all day now... sure as **** I hope this gets fixed soon!!

Thanks hopefully that works for the rest of us.