xcode 9 simulator noise screen

I'm using MacBook pro 13" early 2011. Every time I run on the simulator, it starts like the picture below.

Works fine on the device.

imagem

Accepted Reply

We're aware of this issue with 2011 macs using Intel HD3000. We are working with the graphics team and Intel to get a fix, but in the mean time, we'd like to get a workaround in place in an update of Xcode.

Can you please report back on the effectiveness of these options:

# If you have a discrete GPU in the system (eg: MBP 15" with Radeon HD 6750M):

defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferPerformanceHint 2

# If you do NOT have a discrete GPU in the system (eg: MBP 13" or MacMini)

defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferEmulationHint 1

Replies

Yes, I'm working on a Mac Mini 2011 and it also gives me the fuzz. Stopping the task from Xcode and then in the Simulator/Hardware menu, do Restart. Sometimes more than once. 🙂 I'm wondering if the simulators are taxing my GPU.

I was also experiencing this issue for the past few days. Today, I tried restarting my computer and then upgrading to macOS High Sierra. One of those two things fixed the issue for me, as Simulator now runs as it should. Hope that helps!

Did you make a clean install? or it was just an update?

I just updated to high sierra and the problem persists...

After a lot of restarting, updating and simulator restarting, it's working now. I don't know for how long.... It looks like the GPU is not powerful enough...

I recently updated my xcode the simulator works fine, but this problem started in the past few days

We're aware of this issue with 2011 macs using Intel HD3000. We are working with the graphics team and Intel to get a fix, but in the mean time, we'd like to get a workaround in place in an update of Xcode.

Can you please report back on the effectiveness of these options:

# If you have a discrete GPU in the system (eg: MBP 15" with Radeon HD 6750M):

defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferPerformanceHint 2

# If you do NOT have a discrete GPU in the system (eg: MBP 13" or MacMini)

defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferEmulationHint 1

Hi @jeremyhu.

I have a Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro and experienced the same issued reported by @leandropetreca. The second workaround worked for me. Looking forward for the fix now.

Thanks for the assistance.

Edit: a typo.

Hi @jeremyhu,

You saved my day. 🙂

This workaround works great on a Mac Mini Server (mid 2011) running 10.12.6 with indeed Intel HD graphics 3000 512 MB:

Thanks for your support,

Bart

We never were able to reproduce it, but we added a workaround to Xcode 9.1 Beta 2 to blacklist using HD3000 until if/when Intel provides a fix for the issue. On 15" Macbook Pros, that will cause us to use Radeon. On 13" MBPs and MacMinis, that will cause us to use the software renderer.

Hello,

I have the same problem on my macbook pro 2011 and i can reproduce it.

This problem arrive when i launch at the same time an other app who use graphics :

- a skype video conversation (with the skype mac app)

- or if i launch android studio device simulator

When i quit theses applications, the ios simulator comeback to a normal display without restarting.

if it could help someone to fix it...

best regards.

Your solution worked for me also. Thank you!

It works 🙂, thank you!

Another success here. Late 2011 Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon HD 6770M, running 10.12.6, Xcode 9.1 beta 2. Problem was occasional noise on Simulator screen. I've seen the noise before but it usually cleared up by resizing or restarting Simulator (I don't recall exactly what worked). Today I couldn't get anything to clear the noise.

Once I entered this into Terminal, no more noise 🙂:

It worked for me until I update to Xcode 10.0, now the workaround no longer works.

I have a Mac Mini (mid 2011) running 10.13.6 with indeed Intel HD graphics 3000.

Is there another workaround for this Xcode version?

I have the same trouble and this is very dissapoining.

Mac mini server mid 2011, 10.13.6, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512, XCode 10.1.

The workaround didn't work for me (I also experimented with the numbers, no result).

I really hope to find some solution here. Anyone?