High Sierra asking for ‘disk password’ and won’t accept any

i Have an APFS volume high Sierra install and for some reason it rebooted/went to sleep over night.

now it’s asking for a ‘disk password‘ and won’t let me in. I converted a filevault 2 volume from HPFS+ to APFS and everything Was working.

I’ve tried the MacOS password, Apple ID Password, FileVault recovery key, and iCloud recovery key and none let me in. What password does it need?

Replies

Hey Scot! I followed your steps but I’m still getting that same error of -6595. What should I do next??

I had the decryptVolume command run all night (7 hours) but nothing happened. No output from the moment of pressing Enter.

I had the same problem with a fresh install of :

Mac OS High Sierra

French language and French numeric keyboard layout

APFS (case-sensitive & encrypted)
Enabled FileVault

Installed BootCamp

After the BootCamp installation, I restard to set the default boot to Mac OS but I stopped on the FileVault password request for my account.
It wont recognize my password... On the top-right corner, it show "French - Numeric" keyboard layout is active but in fact it is not... I have to chose the "French - PC" layout and type like it was a PC keyboard to make my password works.

So, for me, it is not a problem of cryptography but simply a problem of keyboard layout...
Try some other keyboard layouts and test your password again and again.
It is way harder to find a working keyboard if your password contains symbols.

Good luck

Hi, i have a bigger Problem... I tried to upgrade to high sierra - the update stuck so I had to switch of my macbook pro retina 2012... Now I restarted and tried to install high sierra via recovery mode. 2 hours later macbook wants disk password - nothing works ... So I think I don‘t have any bootable system— what should I do now? Apple cant help me- they want me to delete the volume- but I have data which are not backuped... any ideas???

I may have a partial solution, that helped me part of the way....

see croaker'spost where they describe "/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default" .... If you can mount your drive via the recovery partition using the original file vault password, try to unlock and mount it. Then on the drive un-encrypted drive there should be a "Recovered Files" folder, I found my "/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default" in there and copied it to the preboot (/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default). I was able to get back to my login screen instead of the "Disk Password"...

Hope this kind of helps!

my issue now is my disk is stuck decrypting 12% and I cant find a way to force it to make any progress...

im in the same boat as you also. Stuck at 12% after letting it run all night.

How did you copy over the files needed? Did you use terminal or were you able to get into Finder?

I used terminal to copy the files...

I may have a solution to the stuck disk unlocking... I was abe to upgrade my old macbook pro to High Sierra without any issues. After doing so I booted the problematic mac into target disk mode then connected to the old mac ( in my case touchbar MBP via USB - C to thunderbolt adapter to old mac). After connecting I was prompted to unlock my drive which worked with my filevault password. I continued to monitor the diskutil apfs list and suddenly it switch from paused and moved up 1%. I set my old mac to never go to sleep and only turn off the display, and overnight I got up to 83.0% (Unlocked)... I am hoping it will finish out later on today!

Then on to try to continue the installer again.

>any ideas???

As macOS 10.13 HS is now public, user-centric non-beta queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to Apple's public community support forums, run by AppleCare, and/or Apple's twitter support account, vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

From this link: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/high_sierra

"Announcement: macOS High Sierra is now available! If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.”

Users can feedback viahttp://www.apple.com/feedback/- Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

I'm having the exact same problem too.

Hi, I have the same issue. I found the files under Revovered Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default and I copied everything from the db folder into the preboot drive and also copied them to /Macintosh HD/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default But when I restart my computer the "Disk Password" request appears again.

I am following your steps right? Any ideas? Really appreciated. This has proven to become a nightmare.

I found the solution.

diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk2s1 -od /Volume/Macintosh HD/Recovered Items/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

I did the same with Target disk and for the first time, it changed from Paused to 23% decrypted!

Note that both computers (target disk and at least host) must be connected to the power for the decryption to resume.

When I run the command I get the following error...

This APFS Crypto User is not in the Open Directory database

Any idea what might be happening here?

Thanks a lot

aawesome thanks. I got home from work and the decrypt is at 17% now. Slow but it’s going. Hopefully it won’t get stuck. Waiting game now!

Hello! I followed your commands and it’s says “Background decryption is ongoing; see ‘diskutil apfs list” to see the progress When I entered the above command, it says “Decryption Progress: 10% (Unlocked) My question is “how long does it take to completely unlock?”. You had mentioned hours and house, just curious to know how much hours