application:didReceiveRemoteNotification:fetchCompletionHandler not called on iOS 11

Hi,

I'm relying in the UIApplicationDelegate method "application:didReceiveRemoteNotification:fetchCompletionHandler" to receive some silent notifications when the application is not in the foreground.

With iOS 11 beta 1, this method is no longer called when I send this push payload

{
  "aps": {
    "content-available": 1
  },
  "mydata": {
    "foo": "bar"
  }
}

- (void)application:(UIApplication *)application didReceiveRemoteNotification:(NSDictionary *)userInfo fetchCompletionHandler:(void (^)(UIBackgroundFetchResult result))completionHandler {
}

Did anybody else noticed this behaviour?

Replies

Anyone have any update here?

Agree that this is really disappointing from Apple, as this fundamentally breaks something in iOS 11 that worked fine in iOS 10.3.3...

Anyone know how to get more pressure on this issue with Apple?

Per Jan's recent comment on this Stack Overflow post

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44796613/silent-pushes-not-delivered-to-the-app-on-ios-11,

this apparently seems to be fixed in iOS 11.1 beta 1.

Now, the only question is when will iOS 11.1 with this fix be released GM?

Yes the iOS 11.1 beta 1 seems indeed promissing

https://stackoverflow.com/a/46455236/677987

On my initial testing, iOS 11.1 seems to have fixed it. I need to test it way more though.

UPDATE:

Not fixed! It worked for a while, then it completely stopped. Even in the foreground, the app stopped receiving notifications.

UPDATE 2:

After more testings I was able to find a way to make the device receive notifications again. Connect it to power. As soon as you connect the device to power it will start receiving all Remote Notifications again. If you remove it, then it stops. This makes no sense, because in all my testings the app was in foreground. And foregrounded apps are guaranteed to receive the Remote Notifications.

Also the background task of the priority notifications ("not silent", e.g. an alert, sound, or badge property ) is broken in iOS 11.0.2. My app Team Locator is hardly getting any background execution time at all in iOS 11 in any circumstance. It seems that this functionality is somehow broken in every release in some point...why it is so hard, maybe intentionally by Apple...

I have faced other issue which is already broken in iOS 10. After the device reboot and unlock of the device the remote notification cannot wake the app, even the app is visible in the multitasking view.

Very promising, based on my short tests iOS 11.1 public beta 2 is solving all my notification issues. 🙂

that's great to hear, thank you!

any word when iOS 11.1 is expected?

I was testing this for hours today. Thought I was doing somehting wrong, or they'd tricked us all again with some silent rule change.

Unfortunately after long tests iOS stopped to wake my app totally as abras has noticed.

@lanse, just making sure... Your previous statement about it solving all your notifications issues on iOS 11.1 beta 2 still holds, right?

No, there are still serious problems with iOS 11.1 beta 2. Right afer the upgrade from 11.0.2 to 11.1.B2 (and device reboot) the iOS even restarted and woke my app and then every remote notification triggered the application:didReceiveRemoteNotification:fetchCompletionHandler. But next day it stopped totally for some unknown reason...

Can Apple do something about this issue. My app depends on that in order to function correctly and aknowlodge the server that the notification has been received among others. Why are they not doing anything about it, it is unbelievable. What are you guys telling to your clients that their app doesn't work anymore in iOS 11?

Anyone has done tests witth iOS 11.1 Beta 3? It also claims to fixing the silent notifications problem.

No, it has not. The bug still present on iOS 11.1 Beta 3.

are you sure? For me it has been working fine since iOS 11.1 beta 1

Within my testcases it is also working since iOS11.1 beta 1