media keys not working in MacOS High Sierra

Hi everyone, since I updated to high sierra my media keys stopped working. Did someone figure out how to make them work again ? Is there a way to tell apple directly ? I have read on reddit that a lot of mac users complaint about this and that they would sent Apple a complain letter to fix it in the next update.

Thank you

Accepted Reply

As macOS 10.13 HS is now public, user-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to Apple's public community support forums, run by AppleCare, and/or Apple's twitter support account, vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

From this link: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/high_sierra

"Announcement: macOS High Sierra is now available! If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you."

As noted, users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/- Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

Replies

you can send to bugreport@apple.com, or feedback@apple.com...

you can make a bugreport directly at http://bugreport.apple.com

I've had the same issue

I had the same issue, in my case I cheked and unchecked "Use F1, F2, etc keys as standard keys" in keyoboard preferences, now it's working as always

As macOS 10.13 HS is now public, user-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to Apple's public community support forums, run by AppleCare, and/or Apple's twitter support account, vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

From this link: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/high_sierra

"Announcement: macOS High Sierra is now available! If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you."

As noted, users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/- Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

I had the same issue in the production version - this solution resolved it though, thanks

This may still be relevant for the beta, as for me it only started failing on 10.13.1 beta. Before it never failed for me, but that's not proof of nothing.

My suspicion is the media player on the browser (Safari and Chrome). If there's a page hosting a video, the play/skip (F7 to F9) will be bind to the browser and no longer respond on iTunes. So far so good. What I see on 10.13.1 is that after that, even after closing all windows (kill Safari and Chrome), the binding is still not released into iTunes… until it randomly is, probably after a sleep/wake up cycle.

I managed to fix this issue by

1. Restarting to Safe Mode

2. Test Media keys Safe Mode(They Will work as expected)

3, Restart to normal mode.

This worked for me. Thanks.

What worked for me (iMac as well as MBP):

- in VLC => Preferences => Hotkeys: deactivate keys F1 - F9 (assigned to shortcuts i had no idea about)

- shutdown & restart (changing settings in VLC was not enough)

I hope it helps

It used to drive me crazy and I decided to tinker and solve it. To fix, do the following:

Once iTunes is loaded, select Controls from the Menu and note down what the menu options are called. Currently, they are called Next & Previous.

Go to Settings from the dock and select App Shortcuts.

Click + to add an iTunes Shortcut.

Name the shortcut EXACTLY as the Controls. So type Next. Now press JUST the >> key on your macbook.

Click + to remap Previous. Name it Previous and press the << key to map that shortcut.

Done!

PS: This won't work if iTunes is not the active app. So if you're using some other app and press the shortcut, it's not going to work and change the song.

You can work around that too. I did not think it wouild work but it did. Do the same thing. Create a new shortcut. Call it EXACTLY iTunes.

This time, do it for 'All Applications'. Use the Play >= key on your keyboard to remap it. Now if you're browsing the internet and you want to skip the song, it will take 2 keyboard clicks to do that.

Press >= (that you remapped) to bring iTunes into focus.

Press >> and it will skip the song.

The latter does not always workwith all apps. Or at least it only seems to work with Chrome. I can be browsing and change the track with the keyboard keys as above.

I tried your solution but when I press the >> key or any of the other while trying to set up the new shorcut nothign happens. The field that is supossed to show you the key you just pressed remains in blank and won't let me save it.

Did you have the same issue?

Note: the media keys won't work even if I have iTunes as my active app and the only open app. Only works when iTunes is closed and I press the Play (>=) key, it opens iTunes but won't play any song.

Thanks Bro this deff helped me 3/27/18 10.13.3 Highly Recommended

This isn't global and only works within iTunes. Because this stupid High Sierra update the media keys used to be global and now they don't work at all.