HLS Requirements

Hi there,

We are working on an app that streams an 11mb video that has a total duration of 70 secs. The video will be hosted on amazon s3 bucket. Are we required to use HTTP live streaming to get our app approved? Apple documentation says:

"If your app delivers video over cellular networks, and the video exceeds either 10 minutes duration or 5 MB of data in a five minute period, you are required to use HTTP Live Streaming. (Progressive download may be used for smaller clips.)"

It is not clear from the documentation if shorter than 5-minute videos having more than 5mb file size is required to support HLS or not?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

As far as I can tell, if you download 11MB in under 5 minutes then you are violating the rule.

Anyone know the rules for a tvOS-ONLY app? I've been looking over some of the streaming docs and it seems like a headache. I just want to show some video tutorials, which compress down really nicely considering they are mostly just screen-recordings. I've got mp4 files that are 10 minutes long that are only about 40MB.

Will that get approved as is?

Approval is always up to the review team. (Which I am not part of.)

But the cellular rule does not apply to tvOS.