macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware"

macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware".

I have MacBookAir 6.2 13" with MBA 61.0099.B22. With 10.12.6 beta is no problem.

Replies

I’be just encountered this error when trying to update my MacBook Pro to the GM seed. Anyone actually find an solution?

Have this error on MBP 13 2015 with original Apple SSD. Try to update from 10.12.6 with no luck. Log:

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: ROM Features returned: 4228117814

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: ROM does not support APFS

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: Clearing automation and attempting to rebless. source volume: SKDisk { BSD Name: disk0s2 Mount point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD Role: kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacSystem Type: kSKDiskTypeHFS } rebless: 46CC9562-A01E-3E91-8A8B-BDD957042114

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: OSIInstallElement <OSIVerifyROMElement: 0x7fbcb3f60ed0> errored out:Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=512 "При проверке прошивки произошла ошибка." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=При проверке прошивки произошла ошибка.}

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro storagekitd[548]: storagekitd: copyDiskForPath returned nil, error: -69808

Hurray, so now I'm also a member of this (not so exclusive) club? For the first time after starting with Leopard?

Wow... Long disgusting beep on restart and then "error while verifying firmware". This is a Mid 2010 iMac. AFAIK it should be possible to install. And I installed the app store version....

I have a Mac Pro (2013) with an OWC Aura 4TB SSD drive, and had similar problems with upgrading. It appeared that during the installation process, the computer would hit a point (I guess where it was trying to install the firmware upgrade), and would reboot about a dozen times before giving up.

I did manage to successfully install High Sierra by doing the following:

1. Create a bootable USB flash drive (I used a separate 16gb flash drive) with High Sierra on it.

2. Uninstall the OWC Aura 4TB SSD drive. Reinstall the old (in my case, 1TB) flash drive that came out of the Mac Pro.

3. Erase and reformat the 1TB flash drive using Mac OS Extended (Journaled). (This seemed to be a key point; originally I formatted as an APFS, but the installer failed. Reformatting as an Mac OS Extended (Journal) drive did the trick. Note that I had to reformat my old 1TB flash drive because I had been using it as a Time Machine backup drive.)
4. Do a fresh Mac OS High Sierra install on the 1TB flash drive.
5. Once complete, shut down, swap the 1TB flash with the OWC Aura 4TB SSD drive, boot from the flash drive and run install.

After following these steps, I now have MacOS High Sierra running on my system, and I didn't have to reformat or reload my data from my Time Machine backup.

Note that after doing this, I'm still running the MacOS Extended (Journaled) formatted drive on my OWC Aura, rather than APFS. I'm going to wait until another complete backup is performed before I attempt to conver the drive to APFS. (Or maybe I won't; I'm a little nervous given the other comments here.)

To convert the OWC SSD raid to APFS, you'll have to erase the drive, that I'll not be doing if Apple can't do this as part of the install why should I risk it myself ...

Hardware: MacbookAir6,1 with an Aura 1TB SSD upgrde

highSierra upgrade: Fails with firmware check

I talked to OWS support and their suggestion as to what’s worked for some is to replace the Aura with the original Apple SSD, upgrade that, swap SSDs back to the Aura and then you should be able to upgrade it. The OWS tech said that the upgrade on the Apple SSD would upgrade the EFI so it would then work with the Aura.

I still have my Apple SSD with Sierra on it. I’m going to try this path tomorrow.

Had this error with the new release of High Sierra.

Solution was to restart in Safe Mode (hold shift while restarting) and then starting the update. No problem with new file system - on system drive Apple_APFS was installed whereas and Bootcamp NTFS file system as well as on the Optibay ExFAT were kept intact.

High Sierra works fine so far (48hrs)

MBP mid 2010 with Samsung SSD and Optibay (Kingston SSD).

Did anyone post to bug reporter to see if they know about this

Huge thanks. This helped me.

Background: MacbookPro8,3 17-inch Late 2011 with OWC SSD and data-doubler (no optical drive - original HDD moved to SuperDrive spot).

Unsuccessful try: Used USB installer but eventually got "problem with firmware". After 2 or three tries, restored back to Sierra from Time Machine Backup

Successful try:

1. Downloaded High Sierra again onto hard drive (even though I already had USB with High Sierra).
  2. Rebooted into Safe Mode
  3. Launched "Install High Sierra" application while in safe boot mode.
  4. Install went without any hitch.

Hope that helps.

OK. I just installed the 10.13.1 beta, and it installed fine, even though the official release of the 10.13 OS fails with the "firmware" issue.

I think I know what's happening.

Apple added an "anti-hackintosh" measure to the RC and release builds of 10.13. It must have not been in the betas (probably because they didn't want to tip their hand).

I have a first-gen MacBookPro TouchBar 15".

The anti-hackintosh measure sniffs firmware, and will put up alerts if it sees what it considers "bad" firmware.

I suspect that it didn't whitelist the ASICs that Apple used for some of its computers. I think they source the chips from a lot of places.

This approach worked for me as well. Thanks!

Background: MacbookPro 6,2 15-inch mid 2010 with aftermarket Samsung 850 EVO SSD. After downloading High Sierra from Mac App Store, tried several times to upgrade but each time received an unable to verify firmware during the installation process. Verified that firmware was up to date and started researching options.

Successful try:

1. Rebooted into Safe Mode
  2. Launched "Install High Sierra" application while in safe boot mode.
  3. Install wtook approximately 1 hour, rebooted several times during the process but upgraded without any apparent issues.
  4. Verified via About This Mac that the file system was updated to APFS

How did you download the 10.13.1 beta?

Neither the DeveloperBetaAccessUtility nor the PublicBetaAccessUtility shows me the 10.13.1 beta.
It just opens the empty Updates Section in App Store.

I'm on latest Sierra btw.

Well, first, I'm a paid registered Apple developer. If you are this (you can get this, I think, without the $99/year, but not sure about what it allows for downloads).

That allows me to see the downloads for prerelease in the "Downloads" section of the dev site. Developers will see these betas before John Q. Public.

However, since I had already downloaded the pre-10.13 beta, I was automatically informed of the new beta in the App Store (the mechanism is that the beta page downloads a certificate that unlocks a capability of the app store).

I was NOT on the latest Sierra because the installer no like my firmware. I was actually on the last beta.

Yes, I'm a registered Dev. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to download the DeveloperBetaAccessUtility 🙂

After the Access Utility finishes the installation it opens the "Updates" Section in the App Store. But there are no Updates available.

So you had already installed a 10.13 beta?

I tried to install every single beta AND of course the stable version of 10.13 but it always ended in the firmware error.

Hmmm... So you’re a paid developer, and can’t get this?

That’s weird. My account is an organizational one, but that should make no difference, here.

I Just went to my downloads page, and it’s there: Mac OS 10.13.1 beta.

I was able to install all my betas without the firmware issue. It started with RC1.

That’s what makes me think it’s the “hackintosh killer” code.

On another note, I had a post rejected by the mods, in which I pasted a chat transcript with Apple Support, in which the rep. insisted that my problem was that I had a fusion drive.

On a MacBook Pro TouchBar 15 inch.

Yeah, that was a bit embarassing. I can understand why they nuked the post.