High Sierra GM installation keeps failing with "com.apple.DiskManagement error 0"

Hi,

High Sierra GM installation failed with an "com.apple.DiskManagement error 0" message.

It offers me a "Restart" button so that I can retry the installation, but without option to change anything I just get again into the installation and it fails with the same error message.

I have a Mac Mini with a 1 TB HD, so I understand the install isn't trying a conversion to APFS (which went incredibly well in my MacBook with an SSD, by the way).

How can I get out of this loop and return to good old Sierra I had before?

Is there an easier solution than recovery and restore from Time Machine?

Att

Replies

Same problem here. Booting in Safe Mode and Recovery Mode doesn't work also.

Also having the same issue... Wish I had made a backup now.

same error here...what have you done Apple........

I read somwhere that you should uncheck "convert to APFS"...I just don't see any place where I can uncheck that...I also tried official Apple support...horrific. Any tip in the right direction will be appreciated.

I had the same thing, on a late 2012 mac mini with 500GB hard disk. I notice lpachecohas a mac mini, what about everyone else?

I am currently restoring from time machine so can't do anything for now. There is this thread which recommends an EFI update:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79688

Once (hopefully) TM has got me back up and running I might try this, or I might give up for now; I don't want to go through another 4 hours restore process!

Good luck everyone.

I'm having the same problem with a iMac (late 2012), nightmare.

Can you let me know if the Time Machine restore works please.

Also has anyone found the "uncheck "convert to APFS" option, how do you get back to the begin of the installation, i keep going round in circles.

Time Machine did get me back to where I was this morning, thank goodness. To get the option to restore, reboot whilst holding down Apple+R, until the recovery screen appears. Otherwise it just boots into the installer over and over again.

The EFI firmware update idea wasn't helpful for me, turns out I already have the latest. Apple's site is really poor at giving you this information - searches bring you to a page that it says has been archived (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518.) Then you have to decide, is MM61.010B.B00 newer than MM61.0106.B0A? In the end I just tried to install the newest version I could find and it told me I didn't need it.

In conclusion, I'm going to sit this one out, until I hear it's been fixed.

[edit] This is the developers forum, right?! To see a bit more information on your firmware, try

ioreg -p IODeviceTree -r -n rom@0

on the command line. In particular it shows the release date which might be useful to see if you have old firmware or not.

I'm having the same issue. This is a nightmare. I can't boot my MacBook Pro (early 2011) to old installation either. Has anyone found any solution? Or do we have to wait until Apple finds one for us?

lost total control of my computer after installing high Sierra. Computer keeps booting. I am able to enter recovery mode,but there is not much I can do from there. I have found a terminal command which is intended to install high sierra without apfs using th --switchtoapfs NO flag... But that does not work either. I get the error helper has crashed when running the terminal command.

Tried calling Apple...totally useless. They search on google when you call them.

this updated totally screwed me. I am really frustrated.

THere is an internet recovery mode which sets your computer to its defaul OS ... Pretty sure it wipes all your data.

The last resource I a, thinking is going out and buying an external SSD disk, install (try) high Sierra there and boot from it.

will Apple Pay for the external disk, the time I lost, etc.No.

I Can't think of any other solution besides giving up on my data and formatting the computer.

I have the same problem. In my case, I use an iMac from late 2013.

It's true that my iMac has been accumulating upgrades and restorations since 2009 (when I was buying a new one, I was restoring from Time Capsule).

I attribute the mistake to this. I'm thinking about doing a clean installation, and reinstalling all the content.

But I find it a VERY SERIOUS mistake on the part of Apple. Apparently, there are many of us.

In my case, although my Time Capsule has overheating problems, I managed to restore a backup from a few days ago, and I haven't lost anything. For now I'm going to wait, and we'll see what I do.

Same here, Mac Mini 1TB 2012, fails with that same error saying it's 45 minutes from finshing. My recovery option is to reinstall High Sierra, which, of course, just fails again.

In the beta version, I had tonchiose to convert to APFS. In the official build, I did not get this choice on my mac mini (2012). It just tries to convert, hangs for a long delay then fails with an unbootable OS. This is my server. I do have backups. But, if I restore, I dont get apfs nkr highSierra, and if I install new, I lose all my mail and such because the apple server does not have a good backup option for this scenario. Very frustrating. I had heard rumors if a very small scenario where some systems cannot be converted to APFS. If this is still the case, why the heck am I forced to upgrade to APFS without any warnings or choice? This royaly *****. The new Apple team leads cant seem to think through these issues very well anymore.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to reinstall just Sierra, either: the download is gone from the App Store.

exact same issue with mac lini late 2012 here... can’t restore from TM because it somehow doens’t found the backup from my NAS

I ran into the same issue with a Mac Mini late 2012, 500GB old school spinning disc with 16GB of RAM. YMMV, but this worked for me. I went into internet recovery mode and used disk utility to format a USB flash drive to APFS. I then used the High Sierra Installer in the recovery to install High Sierra to that drive to get a volume that could boot into High Sierra to work from. Option booted from the USB into High Sierra and from there I used disk utility to convert the file system on the internal 500 GB HDD to APFS. The conversion took a while, but succeeded. I wasn't sure it would since spinning disks and fusion drives aren't supported yet. From there I ran the High Sierra Installer again on my internal drive. It took an unusually long time (almost 3 hours) but the Installer didn't give me a disk management error 0 this time. My user profiles and local files are in one piece. Hooray! Time for a beer. I've never had such a hard time installing an OSX/MacOS update. I hope this works for some of you. Good luck.

Actually, not a complete Hooray. Most things are here. Profiles, applications, VPN settings, etc., but I'm missing some documents, and my local photos are missing, so this isn't a home run. When you get to the bootable USB, you may want to copy your desktop files, photos, and documents from the internal to an external before you convert the internal disk to APFS, after that, I'm guessing you could just copy them back to your documents and photos folders.