Final Cut Pro X crashing in macOS 10.13 b9

Okay, sometimes it'll launch, but as soon as a new window needs to be created, or media import is initiated, it crashes instantly. 10.3.4 is listed as compatible with High Sierra, so, I'm thinking that it's just me, being lucky. Fortunately I'm only looking at a single, pro bono, gig right now. No time pressure, but need to color correct an hour or two of music video (split into songs, correct, save...), and technically I could use Premiere, which is running just fine under High Sierra. But I have correction and filters loaded up for FCP, so I want to figure this out, if possible.

Replies

No issues here at all with Final Cut Pro (10.3.4), its stable and has not crashed once.

" Fortunately I'm only looking at a single, pro bono, gig right now. need to color correct an hour or two of music video (split into songs, correct, save...), and technically I could use Premiere, which is running just fine under High Sierra. But I have correction and filters loaded up for FCP, so I want to figure this out, if possible."

You should not be using a beta version of Mac OS to perform production work. Beta software is for testing purposes, not for normal day to day use. Therfore use the current public release of Mac OS installed on your Mac, presumably Sierra.

Yep, having the same problem. I even deleted all my plugins and re-installed FCPX, same behavior. As soon as I try to import any media it crashes. At this point I've probably sent 150 crash reports to Apple because it now forces you to do so.

Definitely my bad for installing the GM candidate, but if this happnes with the actual GM I'm going to be PO'd. I need Final Cut working...

Found the problem. My 2016 MacBook Pro 15" is connected via Thunderbolt to an external 4K monitor (Sharp PN-K321). In this configuraiton, it crashes every time I try to import any media (it crashes as soon as I select a file, in fact).

If I disconnect the external monitor, Final Cut Pro X runs fine. What. The. Heck?

I'm having the same issue. Right now i'm running on the release version of high sierra if i disconnect the external display everything works.

The problem with external monitor/clamshell mode is a known bug, now, at Apple. An update to fix is in the works. For me it seemed specific to Final Cut Pro (10.3.4) as Premiere, Motion, and DaVinci Resolve were all working fine, in clamshell mode, or not. But like all new releases, there are some issues. I'm also experiencing odd, minor stuff like Calendars not syncing with iOS11/macOS 10.13, strange behavior in Logic Pro (inability to "Save" being rather a "killer."), and very minor other things...

As for the geniuses on here who trot out the ancient (and trust me, widely known) advice to never run brand new OS's on production boxes, well, as horrifying as it must seem... somebody has to do it, otherwise the bugs would exist much longer than they will. I had exactly zero on my "plate" when I started testing the beta... and a project popped up on me, unsolicited. We're full speed ahead, currently (albeit, not in clamshell mode LOL)... no harm, no foul

As macOS 10.13 HS is now public, user-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to Apple's public community support forums, run by AppleCare, and/or Apple's twitter support account, vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

From this link: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/high_sierra

"Announcement: macOS High Sierra is now available! If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you."

Users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/- Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

Well, looking at the crash reports it seems there is some memory wrapping ocurring. This is based on quite low addresses shown. I will go through the pain of filing a developer report.

I'm on the regular public release now, and FCP runs fine, EXCEPT, when in clamshell mode. That was the heart of the issue with the beta problem, and remains an issue for many users (according to Apple), until an update addresses it.

In case it helps anyone, my FCP was also crashing and eventually I discovered it was due to the SD memory card that I had connected to my Mac. I was importing media from the SD card and FCP just kept crashing randomly. After I took that particular SD card out and started using my external SSD drive then FCP was stable again. I could copy the media perfectly fine from the SD card to an external drive so it didn't seem that the SD card would be the issue but it was.