iOS 11 Simulator unusable slow

Hi,

the iOS 11 Simulator is unusable slow for me when using MKMapKit. I'm getting <= 1 FPS with major UI lag when:

- Running an app using MKMapView

- Running the preinstalled Maps app

I'm on High Sierra (17A315i), using Retina MBP Mid 2012, Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000 / GeForce GT 650M.

iOS 10.x Simulators are working fine with Xcode 9.

Replies

This work around does not help. Filed radar://34517122

Super annoying. Very hard to develop an app with a MKMapView in it. Also having issues with the GM build.

This is still happening on the build that was released today. We use Mapbox which seems to have the same problems as MapKit

Just downloaded XCode 9 today, which I would think is the release candidate, or even release version...simulator is indeed unusable, and not just for MapKit 😟

There is a latency for every gesture, or mouse click. Testing longpress is impossible.

Yep, exactly. Just rebuilt a game app I was in the midst of developing to run on the iPad simulator and can't believe how horribly slow the images update. At least it was reasonably smooth in the last version. Very disappointing.

Updated to Xcode 9, the simulator became completely unusable for SpriteKit development. We are not talking frames per second anymore; we are literally talking seconds per frame. Several of them.

Additionally, the newest tvOS became incapable of rendering SceneKit objects in SpriteKit. They work in the simulator and on iOS devices, but not on the tvOS device. (Such SceneKit objects simply don't appear. Nothing of them is rendered.) I can't figure out a reason for this, and it has broken our game.

Confirmed here too. Downloaded GM Xcode 9 from App Store. Any app that uses MapKit is extremely slow in the iOS11 simulators to the point of it being unusable. This should never have been released.

It could be worse, you may have a Sony TV with an Android OS that keeps crashing 😟

Anyway wellcome to our club.

Still experiencing massive slow downs using mapkit in the simulator basically makes the app untestable. Are Apple working on the issue? Any updates?

Yes, for me the same situation. SpriteKit is very very slow in the simulator.

I filed a radar here, hopefully one of many: https://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=6138518606708736. Please duplicate to raise attention for getting this into Xcode 9.0.1.

Same issue. This release is a joke. wow. OpenGL apps on the simulator are unusably slow.

iOS 11 and its latest dev tools starting to feel like a massive downgrade across the board.

Just wanted to reiterate here what has already been said numerous times.

This is NOT working still in the released Xcode 9 running on the iOS 11 simulator. It's still soooooooooo slow. To the point of being unusable.

Apple, please... pretty please... fix this asap. Thank you!

Well said. But in truth they are probably working on wonderfull new hardware thet we dont need. To be released next week even before the latest stuff is out.

Same for me guys. Yesterday i downloaded Xcode 9 and the simulator is unusable, so slow!!!