Xcode 9 simulator freezing

I'm running a 2012 MacBook pro with 16gb ram and all SSD storage running the High Sierra GM release and using the GM release of Xcode 9.

I suspect that I am like most other developers and really want to get a jump on any UI changes that I might need to make to best support the iPhone X. So, I recompiled my SpriteKit based game using Xcode 9 and iOS 11. When I try to run the game on the iOS 11 simulators, regardless of device, the game launches, but it is functionally useless. Essentially it freezes and won't respond to any input or draw any animations.

At first I thought that maybe this was a hardware issue so I decided I should download the iOS 10.3.1 simulators to test it again. It runs fine on the iPhone 7 Plus simulator running iOS 10.3.1. On the iPhone 7 Plus simulator (or any other iPhone simulator) running iOS 11 it freezes before the first SpriteKit Scene has finished its opening animation sequence or shortly thereafter on some of the smaller screen sizes and will essentially do nothing. The frame count, node, quads and draws count all quit updating as well. The simulator itself is still working because I can return to the Home Scree, launch things like News and Settings, kill the game, etc.

This is obviously impacting my ability to test and make changes for the iPhone X release.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with app freezing on the iOS 11 GM release simulators? Or, any advice on how I might be able to troubleshoot and/or improve the simulator performance (short of getting a new iMac, please).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

See here:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/83570

Thanks, that definitely helps. I guess I'll have to file a bug report as well.