Installer runs, system reboots, back to login screen

I have yet to successfully install the High Sierra beta, despite trying multiple betas over the months. I download the installer from the App Store and run it, it gives me the whole "installing helper" thing and tells me the computer will restart. It retarts, goes to the Apple logo, and then right back to the login screen. No error message or anything.

Any idea what may be going on?

Replies

I have the same problem.

Same problem here. Had it install successfully in the past, but went back to Sierra for other iMac related issues (which engineers say are fixed), but now the installer reboots my iMac and I get back to the Sierra log in screen.

This is similar to me. I installed the original beta, it converted my drive to APFS, the High Sierra install didn't work out, and so I restored back to Sierra. These lines in install.log may point to what the problem is:

Sep 14 18:04:56 My-MacBook-Pro osishelperd[901]: Boot chime muted
Failed to create temporary booter mountpoint
Unable to mount /dev/disk1s3 on /private/tmp/apple_booter_disk1s3. errno: 22
Tool exited: 2

I seem to have a similar problem. Previous betas through the develper progrma installed fine. This one installs the so called helper, reboots and does nothing. No access via App Store, no signs of any attempt to download and install the installer.

Same experience as Wizard69. Tried it twice and still have 17A360a

do you have ssd or platter hard drive..only ssd suported with apfs in recent releases.

Have a Fusion Drive, but it didn't work in the initial release. APFS option not even offered in recent releases, I'm completely on the ancient HFS+, so that shouldn't be an issue.

10.13 should install without APFS.

I have also been trying throughout the day to install GM--no success. Other betas instal easily, but there is something broken in this process.

same problem

Same problem for me.

Same Problem with me on my Mini and iMac, both version 9 of High Sierra...tried everything, and nothing downloads.

Tony

Same here, Mac Mini with SSD, had beta 9, ran the installer for the GM, it rebooted, and I'm back at 17A360a.

Edited to add:

1. The boot drive (a SSD) has multiple partitions on it (10.11, 10.12, 10.13) for testing
  2. Sysetm Preferences / Users & Gropus / Login Options: I have Automatic Login turned ON for my account.

Otherwise this is a pretty stock install - it was a clean install of beta 1 upgraded to beta 9 over the weeks.

Try deleting the "Install macOS 10.13 Beta.app" in Applications. Run the macOS Developer Beta Access Utility and then the App Store will allow you to "Download" rather than "Open" the High Sierra GM installer. It's a 5GB file and it doesn't tell you which version it is, but it installed the correct Version 10.13 Beta (17A362a) for me.

You are so cool Ann! It worked...thank you so much!

Tony

Winchester, VA

Yes, and be sure to check for other copies - in my case, the app store was finding a copy of the old installer on a different Volume of my SSD. See https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/87137#260171