iTunes 12.7 has removed app sync - what’s the recommended way to test iOS app updates?

Hi,

Prior to iTunes 12.7 I used to use the procedure described here https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2285/_index.html

Now that app sync has been removed from iTunes 12.7, what's the recommended way to test iOS app updates?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark

Accepted Reply

Now that app sync has been removed from iTunes 12.7, what's the recommended way to test iOS app updates?

You can install an

.ipa
by dragging it to the Installed Apps list in the Devices window in Xcode. This installs it much like iTunes would have, not via the incremental mechanism that Xcode normally uses when you build and run.

If you want to avoid Xcode entirely, you can do this with Apple Configurator by dragging it to your device in the All Devices window.

Finally, if you’re interested in automating app update testing, you can use Xcode’s app data support, as discussed in this post.

ps I’ve filed a bug to get TN2285 updated for the new reality (r. 34429321).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

You can install an

.ipa
by dragging it to the Installed Apps list in the Devices window in Xcode. This installs it much like iTunes would have, not via the incremental mechanism that Xcode normally uses when you build and run.

If you want to avoid Xcode entirely, you can do this with Apple Configurator by dragging it to your device in the All Devices window.

Finally, if you’re interested in automating app update testing, you can use Xcode’s app data support, as discussed in this post.

ps I’ve filed a bug to get TN2285 updated for the new reality (r. 34429321).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

This only works for the single developer but in the Enterprise where people normally use iTunes, that is now a big issue for Enterprise QA folks that don't or won't have the external internet access to the Apple resources to use TestFlight. Most financial companies I have consulted for outright for block access to everything apple.com or replace the Apple certificates in flight via their firewalls just to see what is going on and as a result break the entire Apple development experience.

I’m confused. Most Enterprise developers I work with set up their own internal distribution, a workflow that Apple explicitly supports. Alternatively, if you want to install the app on a one-off basis, Apple Configurator does that job just fine. Neither of these require access outside of the organisation’s network.

Is there some Enterprise-specific thing that causes problems with Apple Configurator?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”