Marketing/App Store Icon PNG transparency issue

I'm trying to submit my app and ran into this error:

Missing Marketing Icon - iOS Apps must include a 1024x1024px Marketing Icon in PNG format. Apps that do not include the Marketing Icon cannot be submitted for App Review or Beta App Review.

So, I updated my asset catalog to include one, but now I keep getting this error:

ERROR ITMS-90717: "Invalid App Store Icon. The App Store Icon in the asset catalog in 'Some.app' can't be transparent nor contain an alpha channel."

I have removed alpha and transparency with multiple Apps (Photoshop, pngcrush, imagemagick) but keep running into the validation error above. I'm pretty sure my PNG file does not contain any alpha channels or transparency at this point. The only way I found to pass validation is to supply the marketing icon in JPG format, contrary to the first error message.

Anybody with similar issues or ideas how to pass validation with a PNG App Store icon?

Accepted Reply

I seem to remember something like this happening in the past. What have you set as your "Deployment Target" for your project? I have mine set to 8.0 and they upload and validate fine. Does it work if you change your app's "Deployment Target"?

Replies

Having the same issue! Would be interested to know solution too.

Same here.

Tried to use jpg, tried to tune my icon app to completely prevent transparency/alpha channel - nothing work.

We are experiencing the same issue. Submitting the same app still works with Xcode 8. None of the workarounds above allowed us to successfully submit with XCode 9.

Having the same issue. Anyone got a fix?

I'm having the same issue. Same icon has worked before. Anyone contacted Apple?

Could be an issue w/the backend this time - be sure to Report Bugs and add your report # to your thread/comment for reference, thanks.

Filed a bug report rdar://34421698 for reference.

Filed a bug report rdar://34421698 for reference.

Tried few more tricks, but nothing helps.

Filled bug report.

XCode 9 Uploading archive to Itunes fails with error ITMS-90717 "Invalid App Store Icon....

-----

Hope Apple will fix it asap. I already wait 3 weeks (after my new version was ready and released on Android) for IOS 11, and now have to wait more.

My app is kid education so Seprember is my best month and I simply lose money every day I wait. Not a good feeling.

I'm having the same issue, I'd be glad if you could update here if you find a solution

I had the same issue. Submitting the app marketing icon as part of the build is new to XCode 9. I had inadvertently used images with an alpha layer. Even if there are no transparent parts of the image, you still need to make sure you uncheck 'Transparency' when exporting the png in Photoshop. You can check in Finder by right clicking on your app icon png files, selecting 'Get Info'. If under 'More Info' it says 'Alpha channel: Yes' then whatever tool you are using is adding transparency to the png. I re-exported all 3 of my images that had transparently and have now successful uploaded the build to testflight

Unfortunately, problem in this topic is not "using transparent image by mistake". In my (and topic starter) case images are 100% without alpha channel or transparency. We try hard to solve issue in obvious way.

I am not familiar with testflight submission routine, did you try to upload your build to AppStore (or validate it without uploading)?

I was seeing the same error as you but as part of the upload process before i fixed my pngs. After I changed them it uploaded successfully, but about 30mins later I got the dreaded email from iTunes Connect complaining about the transparency, so agree with you guys it is definately something at the server end.

"Dear developer,

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "XXXXX". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:

Invalid Icon - The watch application 'XXXX' contains an icon file 'XXXX.app/AppIcon1024x1024.png' with an alpha channel. Icons should not have an alpha channel.

Once these issues have been corrected, you can then redeliver the corrected binary.

Regards,

The App Store team"

Yep, it is.

Please, submit bug report at https://bugreport.apple.com to get Apple's attention on it.

Update: I opened my icon in preview, exported by unticking `alpha channel` and validation and upload was successful.

• After 4 years..the issue is still there...solved with the above way..thanks

Add a Comment