iOS 11 Simulator unusable slow

Hi,

the iOS 11 Simulator is unusable slow for me when using MKMapKit. I'm getting <= 1 FPS with major UI lag when:

- Running an app using MKMapView

- Running the preinstalled Maps app

I'm on High Sierra (17A315i), using Retina MBP Mid 2012, Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000 / GeForce GT 650M.

iOS 10.x Simulators are working fine with Xcode 9.

Replies

Still in GM. C'mon!

Apple please... Fix it...

When i launch the maps app in OS11 Simulator, the CPU is loaded up to 100%.

I confirm this! MapKit and SceneKit are unusable under simulator! Apple FIX it, pls!!!

(iMac 27-inch, Late 2012)

Regardless of the app I try to run on an iOS 11 simulator (no matter the device type), it is pathetically slow to the point of being unusable.

I've tried apps based on Cocos2D, SpriteKit, SceneKit and UIKit. In every case the simulator is useless to me.

This is with the GM Seed of Xcode.

How on earth am I supposed to update my apps to work with the iPhone X if I can't even see them run in the simulator?

Regards

Running "xcrun simctl diagnose" kills the simulator with a message like:

2017-09-14 11:35:50.965 simctl[28241:670948] CoreSimulator detected Xcode.app relocation or CoreSimulatorService version change. Framework path (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSimulator.framework) and version (375.21) does not match existing job path (/Library/Developer/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSimulator.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.CoreSimulator.CoreSimulatorService.xpc) and version (494.13.6). Attempting to remove the stale service in order to add the expected version.

I'm guessing this is because I'm running Xcode 9 GM from somewhere other than /Applications? I don't want to remove Xcode 8 until I'm confident that Xcode 9 is actually stable. Thie issue with the simulator and iOS 11 is definitely an indication it aint stable.

I'm running Xcode 9 GM, and seeing the slow down in the Simulators for iOS11, but they work fine for iOS10. Another problem is Xcode 9 destroyed all the Simulator libraries for Xcode 8.3.3, and now Xcode 8.3.3 won't install simulators any more. In addtion if I build with Xcode 8.3.3, it runs really slow on an iOS10 device now. Xcode 9 really screwed something up, and it's messed up older devices now too.

My advice to everyone is to not download Xcode 9 since it doesn't work properly.

Running Xcode 9 GM, MacBook Pro 15 inch 2012, SceneKit is really slow in iOS11 running on iPhone X simulator, MapKit is also slow. It's fine though if I run Xcode 9 GM and iPhone 7 Plus with iOS10.

In general Xcode 9 GM still feels like early beta to me.

Almost all my apps make use of MapKit in one way or another, so all of them are unusable in the simulator at this point.

I tried using real device for developement, but the new wireless debugging is also glitchy and doesn't seem to work as it should.

Indeed. Non only the simulator: wireless debugging does not always work (you have to put the old cable), not to mension the many crashes trying to reorganize the project using the new groups/folders. Very hard to do our job.

Ok, I also filed a bugreport (34428478)

I was just wondering as quite some people have the same issue. Can't you reproduce it? I have only my MPB to test, but it happens here all the time. Also for friends of mine it's happening all the time. So I am quite afraid of having to adopt my app (that has maps everywhere) for the new iPhoneX as I have to use the Simulator to test it...

I would really really appreciate it, if you could fix this bug soon 🙂 Next time I am in the US I'd buy you a beer 😀

Xcode 9 Simulator is completely unusable.

Posted bug report with sample projects and diagnostic file.

Xcode 9 iOS Playgrounds and iOS Simulator is Unusable with MapKit

So, we all agree that Xcode 9 simulator is crap. We all filed at least one bug report, right?

Apple, is there anybody in there?

I too am having the same problem. I filed a bug as well.

Same here. Project has SKTileMapNodes and simulator is unuasble at 1 FPS .I had a spectrum 128k which was faster. Apple STOP making new fancy hardware and fix the BUGS in the development software !!!!😠

It is unbelievable this issue has continued into the GM build. This is a crippling issue for developers of map-based apps.