Upload iOS 11 Apps: app icon failure

Hi everyone,

I am getting the following errors about App Icon while I try to upload a build with Xcode 9 beta 6 for testing purposes with TestFlight.

iTunes Store Operation Failed
description length:6193045

ERROR ITMS-90022: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly '120x120' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '76x76' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '167x167' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions supporting iPad Pro."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '152x152' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."

This is an app, that we submit at least every two weeks and the app icons didn't change this year. Checked the bundle and it contains the app icons and they are png with the correct size.

Any advice?

Replies

I'm having the same problems. Any luck in fixing the issue?

Me too

I'm facing this issue too.

I tried to upload our app with all Xcode 9 beta versions since June and every time I got these errors.

Nothing did change in our icons, and I added the AppStore icon (1024pt) in both iOS and Apple Watch apps assets.

For me, it appears to be an issue with Cocoapods. This github issue contains a workaround for the problem: https://github.com/CocoaPods/CocoaPods/issues/7003

Thanks a lot, the temporary solution is working for me.

Thanks for your answer.

I added the needed lines to the podfile and I ran a "pod update".

But when I try to release my app I'm always getting the same issue.

Same issue still exists in GM version of Xcode 9 :/

I've also created a bug report for this a few weeks ago. If everybody here also creates a bug report and mentions this issue it might help: #34087113

It should be a bug in CocoaPods, as disccussed here https://github.com/CocoaPods/CocoaPods/issues/7003

I had the same problem but I fixed it following the next steps:

1) Add this code to Podfile:

post_install do |installer|

copy_pods_resources_path = "Pods/Target Support Files/Pods-IconTest/Pods-IconTest-resources.sh"

string_to_replace = '--compile "${BUILT_PRODUCTS_DIR}/${UNLOCALIZED_RESOURCES_FOLDER_PATH}"'

assets_compile_with_app_icon_arguments = '--compile "${BUILT_PRODUCTS_DIR}/${UNLOCALIZED_RESOURCES_FOLDER_PATH}" --app-icon "${ASSETCATALOG_COMPILER_APPICON_NAME}" --output-partial-info-plist "${BUILD_DIR}/assetcatalog_generated_info.plist"'

text = File.read(copy_pods_resources_path)

new_contents = text.gsub(string_to_replace, assets_compile_with_app_icon_arguments)

File.open(copy_pods_resources_path, "w") {|file| file.puts new_contents }

end

2) Change copy_pods_resources_path for your app and run “pod update”.

This should fix your problem!

Same issue here. Attempted to submit 2 apps today. One went through, the other failed with these same errors on multiple attempts.

Have tried everything including the remediation steps listed in https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1686/_index.html

We don't use Cocoapods.

We at Vectornator faced the same issue with our graphic design software and found the following workaround for it, managed to upload the binary and just passed the review.

First of all make sure that you’re on the latest version of Sierra and than archive your app as usually. Once your app was archived right click it and choose show in Finder. Open the package contents and open this file inside of it: /Products/Application/yourApp.app/info.plist

In there you have to change all the DTXXX Values to be the same as in the latest version of Xcode 8.

DTXcode - “0833”
DTSDKName - “iphoneos10.3"
DTSDKBuild - “14E8301”
DTPlatformName - “iphoneos”
DTCompiler - “com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0”
DTXcodeBuild - “8E3004b”
DTPlatformVersion - “10.3”
DTPlatformBuild - “14E8301"

Save the plist file and go back to xcode where you need to export the archive for the App Store.

Last but not least download Application Loader 3.0 from Apple and upload the just generated IPA file.

https://itunesconnect.apple.com/apploader/ApplicationLoader_3.0.dmg

We hope this works for you as it did for us and hopefully Apple will fix this issue with their validator very soon.

I tried this and my plist file looks more like a binary than a clean XML file

bplist00ß /        

!"#$%&'()*+,-./01234?DE3FGHJRSTUVTWXYZ[\]^abc[ehi…††[ˆ\[\Ž’“”_  BuildMachineOSBuild_  CFBundleDevelopmentRegion_  CFBundleDisplayName_  CFBundleExecutable]CFBundleIcons_  CFBundleIcons~ipad_  CFBundleIdentifier_  CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion\CFBundleName_  CFBundlePackageType_  CFBundleShortVersionString_  CFBundleSupportedPlatforms_  CFBundleURLTypes_  CFBundleVersionZDTCompiler_  DTPlatformBuild^DTPlatformName_  DTPlatformVersionZDTSDKBuildYDTSDKNameWDTXcode\DTXcodeBuild]FacebookAppID_  ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption_  LSRequiresIPhoneOS_  MinimumOSVersion_  NSAppTransportSecurity_  NSCameraUsageDescription_  NSMicrophoneUsageDescription_  NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription_  UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend^UIDeviceFamily_  UILaunchImageFile^UILaunchImages_  UILaunchStoryboardName~ipad_  UILaunchStoryboardName~iphone_  UILaunchStoryboardName~ipod_  UIPrerenderedIcon_  UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities_  UIRequiresFullScreen_  UIRequiresPersistentWiFi_  UIStatusBarHidden_  UIStatusBarStyle_  UISupportedInterfaceOrientations_  UnityCloudProjectID_  UnityCrashSubmissionURL_ #Unity_LoadingActivityIndicatorStyleW17A360aRenZBrainDrainZbraindrainÑ56_  CFBundlePrimaryIconÒ789>_  CFBundleIconFiles_  CFBundleIconName¤:;<=\AppIcon20x20\AppIcon29x29\AppIcon40x40\AppIcon60x60WAppIconÑ5@Ò78A>¦:;<=BC\AppIcon76x76_  AppIcon83.5x83.5_  com.oneorangetree.braindrainS6.0TAPPLS1.0¡IXiPhoneOS¢KOÑLM_  CFBundleURLSchemes¡N_ ;fb182473845211109epac4a0e81af8d82784f364b30fea3964880f68008ÑLP¡Q_ *epac4a0e81af8d82784f364b30fea3964880f68008R70_ "com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0V15A372XiphoneosT11.0\iphoneos11.0T0900U9A235_  182473845211109 
T10.0Ñ_\_  NSAllowsArbitraryLoads
Xnot used_ +Everyplay requires access to the microphone_ .Everyplay requires access to the photo library ¢fg    [LaunchImage§jsvy}€ƒÔklmnopqr_  UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion_  UILaunchImageName_  UILaunchImageOrientation_  UILaunchImageSizeS8.0_  LaunchImage-800-Portrait-736hXPortraitZ{414, 736}Ôklmnotur_  LaunchImage-800-Landscape-736hYLandscapeÔklmnowqx_  LaunchImage-800-667hZ{375, 667}Ôklmnz{q|S7.0_  LaunchImage-700Z{320, 480}Ôklmnz~q_  LaunchImage-700-568hZ{320, 568}Ôklmnzq‚_  LaunchImage-700-Portrait[{768, 1024}Ôklmnz„u‚_  LaunchImage-700-Landscape_  LaunchScreen-iPad_  LaunchScreen-iPhone ¢‰ŠUarmv7Wgamekit

_  UIStatusBarStyleDefault¢‘_  UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait_ (UIInterfaceOrientationPortraitUpsideDown_ $834f2c04-7f63-4f5e-a2f6-0eb864940193_ 5https://a:b@perf-events.cloud.unity3d.com/symbolicateb@perf-events.cloud.unity3d.com/symbolicate ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ i›±ÆÔéþ   + A ^ { Ž   « ½ Ì à ë õ ý 
   8 M ` y ” ³ Ô ò     $ B b € ” ³ Ê å ù   / E _ …   › ¦ © ¿ Ä Ø ë ð ý 
   $ , / 4 ; H [ z ~ ƒ ‡ ‰ ’ • ˜  ¯ í ð ò   " G N W \ i n t † ‡ ˆ   © ª ³ á           & . 7 W k † š ž ¾ Ç Ò Û ü     & 1 : > P [ d { †  ª ¶ ¿ Û ï

X
ƒ
ª
â  •
ë

OK Apple, why isn't this fixed? A bug that has been there for weeks and would seem to prevent many people from using Sierra, even the GM, to submit.

I was able to fix this by messing with the plist. That means there is nothing wrong with my bundle and Apple could easily fix this at any time.

That's a very good question.. I reported this bug a few weeks ago and nothing happened so far 😟