[Announcement] coremltools-0.6.3 release notes

coremltools-0.6.3 release notes

• Linux support
  • Added a “useCPUOnly” flag that lets you run predictions using CoreML through Python bindings using only the CPU

Note: coremltools-0.6.2 has a known issue with the useCPUOnly flag that failed on certain neural network models. This has been fixed with 0.6.3

Neural Network Builder

• Added support for layers in the NeuralNetworkBuilder that were present in the neural network protobuf but missing from the builder:
    • Local response normalization (LRN) layer
    • Split layer
    • Unary function layer
    • Bias, scale layers
    • Load constant layer
    • L2 normalization layer
    • Mean variance normalization (MVN) layer
    • Elementwise min layer
    • Depthwise and separable convolutions
  • Added support for some of the missing parameters in NeuralNetworkBuilder:
    • Padding options in convolution, pooling and padding layers
    • Scale and shift options for linear activation

Other bug fixes & enhancements

• Bug-fix in the caffe converter that was preventing the elementwise max layer from converting.
  • Support for converting DepthwiseConv2D and SeparableConv2D from Keras

Replies

After I converted my caffe model with this version, prediction on Iphone SE became 2 time slower. With this version of converter I've started to use Xcode 9 beta 6. May be problem not only with converter 0.6.2.

The only change form the 0.5.1 to the 0.6.2 version of coremltools with respect to the Caffe converter was the enabling of elementwise max operation. Can I ask a few clairifying questions:

* I assume you meant the 2x slowdown was when you executed the model in the app?

* If you reverted back to 0.5.1 and re-did the conversion, did you see the speed going back up again?

* A diff (just binary diffing the 2 .mlmodel files) would be a quick way to perform a sanity check of whether the two models produced by the 2 versions are indeed different.

Any idea when there will be support for Keras DepthwiseConv2D (MobileNets?). Thank you!

We added support for DepthwiseConv2D in coremltools-0.6.3 but missed mentioning it in our release notes. That has been fixed now. Thanks!

Hi,

We've added support for Keras DepthwiseConv2D and SeparableConv2D in this release. Thank you!

Hi the following parameters are still not supported yet.

I got the following error message "Message type "caffe.LayerParameter" has no field named "permute_param"."

This is an SSD model.

Details:

(cv-py2) ⬢  coreml0.6.3  python convert.py
[libprotobuf ERROR /Users/sohaibqureshi/github/coremltools/deps/protobuf/src/google/protobuf/text_format.cc:287] Error parsing text-format caffe.NetParameter: 2707:17: Message type "caffe.LayerParameter" has no field named "permute_param".
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "convert.py", line 10, in <module>
    coreml_model = coremltools.converters.caffe.convert(model=(caffe_model, caffe_proto))
  File "/anaconda2/envs/cv-py2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/coremltools/converters/caffe/_caffe_convertert
    predicted_feature_name)
  File "/anaconda2/envs/cv-py2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/coremltools/converters/caffe/_caffe_converter.py", line 230, in _export
    predicted_feature_name)

Thank you for your help... is there anything special that needs to be done to get it to work:

WARNING:root:Keras version 2.0.7 detected. Last version known to be fully compatible of Keras is 2.0.6 .

WARNING:root:TensorFlow version 1.3.0 detected. Last version known to be fully compatible is 1.2.1 .

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "coreml.py", line 9, in <module>

coreml_model = coremltools.converters.keras.convert(model_path, input_names="data", image_input_names='data')

File "/lib/python2.7/site-packages/coremltools/converters/keras/_keras_converter.py", line 504, in convert

predicted_probabilities_output = predicted_probabilities_output)

File "/lib/python2.7/site-packages/coremltools/converters/keras/_keras2_converter.py", line 155, in _convert

model = _keras.models.load_model(model)

File "/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/models.py", line 239, in load_model

model = model_from_config(model_config, custom_objects=custom_objects)

File "/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/models.py", line 313, in model_from_config

return layer_module.deserialize(config, custom_objects=custom_objects)

File "/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/layers/__init__.py", line 54, in deserialize

printable_module_name='layer')

Possibly something to do with this in Keras/mobilenets.py:

To load a MobileNet model via `load_model`, import the custom

objects `relu6` and `DepthwiseConv2D` and pass them to the

`custom_objects` parameter.

E.g.

model = load_model('mobilenet.h5', custom_objects={

'relu6': mobilenet.relu6,

'DepthwiseConv2D': mobilenet.DepthwiseConv2D})

Thank you for reply

1) Yes 2x slowdown on iphone SE

2) Previous mlmodel was converted by 0.4.0 because 0.5.1 return error with deconvolution layers. And yes, when I reverted, model performance became as usual. I use 0.4.0 model with Xcode beta (9M136h) and 0.6.2 (try 0.6.3 - same problem) with Xcode beta 6 (9M214v).

3) I've performed binary diff of 0.4.0 and 0.6.2 converted models and it was 14 bytes difference

Hi Guohui,

Coremltools Caffe converter supports the official BVLC Caffe format, which does not have a permute layer defined. Its seems the Caffe model you are trying to convert is based off a custom fork of Caffe which has defined its own "permute_param".

However, permute layer is supported in Core ML and you should be able to use the neural network builder (https://apple.github.io/coremltools/generated/coremltools.models.neural_network.html ) to define your own mlmodel.

Looking at it further, there is no way to supply the custom_objects param to coremltools.converters.keras.convert. Is there any kind of workaround? MobileNets expects you to load the module like so:

model = load_model('mobilenet.h5', custom_objects={

'relu6': mobilenet.relu6,

'DepthwiseConv2D': mobilenet.DepthwiseConv2D})

I think the biggest issue is that Core ML doesn't actually support the relu6 activation.

I'd actually taken out the relu6 references and replaced with standard relu activation, so I don't think that's an issue in my case

Does any Keras RNN with return_sequences=True work yet?