Coreaudio issues High Sierra

After I started the Beta testing my audio is not working. I do get the start chime when rebooting but once the OS is loaded I have no audio.

Facts:

The volume icon in menu bar is grey

System preference for sound is not loading, an error shows after some time, timeout

the Mac freezes once a sound is supposedly played

coreaudiod is not visible in the activity monitor

I tried to restart :

MacBook-Pro:~ Pindus$ sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod.plist

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod.plist: service already loaded

I tried starting the coreaudiod from /usr/bin/coreaudiod:

MacBook-Pro:~ Pindus$ /usr/sbin/coreaudiod ; exit;

Segmentation fault: 11

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...8 completed.

[Process completed]

Some system notifications:

default 22:03:25.498546 +0200 coreaudiod hciControllerPublished

default 22:03:25.498651 +0200 coreaudiod Open connection to bluetoothd (0x7f85d4d2ccc0)

default 22:03:25.499855 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.apple.coremedia.endpointmanager.xpc.

default 22:03:25.499945 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.apple.coremedia.endpoint.xpc.

default 22:03:25.500011 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.apple.coremedia.endpointstream.xpc.

default 22:03:25.538975 +0200 com.apple.audio.DriverHelper The plug-in named InstantOn.driver requires extending the sandbox for the mach service named com.rogueamoeba.instanton-agent.

I suppose I can wait for the beta to be over and done with, but 1+ month without any sound is driving me crazy. Will appreciate any help I can get.

Accepted Reply

pindus, I have a good news for you. Since I noticed we both have RogueAmeba soft onboard, I tried to uninstall Airfoil (and Airfoil Satellite, for a company). And you know - sound is back, and Sound app in System Preferences opens correctly!

Replies

Hey, I get exactly the same case. No advices how to fix it.

pindus, I have a good news for you. Since I noticed we both have RogueAmeba soft onboard, I tried to uninstall Airfoil (and Airfoil Satellite, for a company). And you know - sound is back, and Sound app in System Preferences opens correctly!

Wow Dmitry,

You saved my weekend! I removed part by part of the RogueAmoeba suite and it was the instantOn driver that caused the issue!

Removed it from :

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL and

/Library/LaunchDaemons

solved the issue!

I thought about it, updated it and looked at other plugins but never removed these. Thank you! Apple made it seem a true bug and I just let it ride.

After installing High Sierra Beta I had the Audio mute problem. Two days of troubleshooting and this helped me. I as well deleted the InstantOn. Thanks much.

just came here to say thank you.

i had the same problem with the latest release of high sierra.

deleted airfoil and sound is back again.

Dimitry,

Thansl for sharingthe solution! i had exctly the same. SOund was back instantly when I removed InstantOn from the library.

You saves me a lot of frustration and time!

best,

Willem

I don't have the same issue as far as the Mac freezing and Core Audio is running but have tried all of the steps outlined for my mid 2011 MacBook Air and still no I/O devices (internal or even if I plug in headphones. So, in summary:

My late 2013 MacBook Air has zero issues from the first Beta onwards (at least with audio).

Mid 2011 has not had Audi I/O devices since the start.

- Formatted and rolled back to Sierra, audio comes back.

- Waited until a later release of Beta, clean installed, no audio I/O.

- Multiple PMU/PRAM resets, nothing.

- Just installed the full High Sierra release, still nothing.

Bear in mind, these are in addition to Pindus' and other forum folks' suggestions listed here and this is a bone-stock MB Air, so no additional hardware and, as far as software, I run identical apps (I travelled extensively to bits of the world without reliable power, etc., so I always carried two largley identical machines to have a backup; I won't bore you with the details, but often hardware gets ruined, so having a spare was essential).

Very odd and I have even coipied all of the driver libraries from the other machine just for fun to see if there was some form of corruption. On the plus side, autoplay adverts do not suddenly start blaring!

I do not have those files to remove and this is getting very frustrating, i was told to update my OS so that my internal camera would work now both the camera and the sound aren't working.

please advise

Any resolution? I've got the same problem even after uninstalling RogueAmeba soft and multiple PMU/PRAM resets. I'm at a loss!

Oikose, I'm having the same problem, did you find a fix in the end?

Logic Pro X, GarageBand, Capo no longer launch on macOS High Sierra 10.3.3 (with the supplemntal update) on ONE of my iMacs. Yet they launch on another (older iMac). There is only one AudioUnit installed: Altiverb (with the latest update).

It appears the CoreAudio stack if failing ot initialize. Is there anytihng I can do to fix this other than reinstalling the operating system?

I was having intermittent sound in Safari and iTunes. Reverted back from Boom 3D to Boom 2 and seems to be working now. Be sure to force quit Boom 3D with Activity Monitor and Log In items.

Good luck.

TDA

So, my internal speakers and headphones aren't working, only Bluetooth, and I'm running High Sierra 10.13.2. I've tried your method, but instantOn.driver does seem to appear. I've also tried all the different methods listed and nothing is working. What should I do?

maybe, you could update to the latest release 10.13.3, and try again... ?