Sound greyed out, not working

Installed both the first and second updates of Highe Sierra. Since then, my sound doesnt work on the computer. I could play music from Mac to my external Bose wifi but no sound plays on the Mac. The starting chimes works perfectly but after the OSX is up, the sound symbol appears up right and greyed out. When I click on the preferences, it takes time to load and then encounters problem and there is no input, output and source.

I have tried both the PRAM and NVRAM and SEC twice to no success.

How do I go about resolving this issue. Yes this is Beta but this is weird.

Thanks

Replies

Same issue. older Mac Pro. Had a 3rd party PCI sound card and thought it was the drivers, so remoeved them. Still no sound. What model is yours? Gather no 3rd party sound card right?

I have a 2014 Mac mini, with no 3rd party components. I installed beta 4 last night (from 10.12.6) and when the machine booted, I no longer had audio. The menu bar icon is grey and when I try to acces the Sound Preferences, the System Preferences Panel crashes

I have exactly the same problem on iMac Late 2012. No digital output, nor sound in speakers. Attempt to open Sound app in System preferences finishes with app freeze.

Maybe this one would help: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/86582