iPad Swift Playgrounds: "R2-D2 by Sphero" doesn't connect?

Anyone get this playground to actually connect to R2-D2? When I press "Connect Droid" it just sticks on "Searching for Droids" forever.

The "Sphero Template" playground actually can connect, however. (But if you leave in the "enableSensors" command which is present in the first page, the robot won't actually do anything.

Replies

Same issue, won't connect for me. FWIW I tried at least 2 different iPads, a 12.9" first gen Pro, and a 10.5".

I didn't know you could connect to any degree with the Sphero Template. I'll give that a try.

I’ve tried with two iPads, one running iOS 11and one running iOS 10.3. No luck, but the template playground mostly works. I’ve been hacking the guts out of it to give me a better starting point for a class I teach to kids. Still no luck with the official iOS sdk and Xcode.

cpaying the chapters from the r2 playground into the sphero template playground works, so that at least “solves” that part of it.

Same here. I reported the issue to Sphero support, but they mentioned that it was an issue on Apple side. I can't ask Apple support since my iPad is out of warranty. :-(

Give it some time and the sphero guys will have to fix the issue base on the current product updates being released by Apple.

The issue on the Swift Playgrounds was finally resolved after updating the version of the "Star Wars Driods App by Sphero" app on my iPad. I do not know how it did happen, guessing some internal component in the Playgroudns is being related to that app??

Same issue, won't connect for me. Sphero apps connect ok but Swift Playgrounds doesn't.

I had the same problem. I was finally able to get the droids to connect in Swift Playgrounds. Unlike the Star Wars Droid app, I apparently needed to have them off their chargers and physically touching the iPad for them to appear in the connect pop up.

Same here using a BB-9E robot.

I bought my Robot only to have fun with those playgrounds and this is just not working. I'm quite disapointed.

I filled a radar and I invite all of you to do the same thing.

My R2D2 robot is working. It took some time to connect.

At this point I'm working primarily with the Javascript interface supplied by Sphero. I wasn't able to create customized programs within Swift.

There appears to be very few resources for the Swift environment.

These robots have a lot of potential. It's ahamed that the community is not more supportive.

I have solved this connection problem by swapping the chapters in R2 Template with Sphero Template.

These two templates are mostly identical. Therefore, if you copy the chapters in R2 Template and overwrite the chapters in Sphero Template, the problem is resolved.

You need a Macbook. Airdrop both templates to your MacBook first, then open them with Xcode. Find chapters in project navigation, then copy it and overwrite the one in Sphero Template. Finally, find the manifest. Edit the manifest so it refers to the correct folders. After that, airdrop the template back to your ipad and the connection issue should be resolved.

Hi, sorry to resurrect a dead thread.

I'm getting a Sphero R2-D2 and I've updated to the latest version of Swift Playgrounds, but the R2-D2 by Sphero Playground is no longer there.

I contacted Sphero and this is what they said:

The R2D2 playground is no longer supported after the recent Swift upgrade.

At this time, we're choosing not to support an updated version.

If anyone still has a copy and willing to share it, I would be most grateful. Based on the replies above,swapping the chapters with the latest Sphero template as suggested by AaronZ should work.

Any help is most appreciated.

I have it - can you help me swap chapters like you said might make it work?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OnSjcJl_pzankBkK4p0CZCNnRb7y_7M4?usp=sharing

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I just got a copy myself from another user, and I did try swapping the chapters like AaronZ suggested, but it still doesn't work. I get an error message "Error parsing source tags". Maybe it would work with an earlier version of Swift Playgrounds (mine is version 3.1) but I'm not sure how to install earlier versions.