How to associate statusUpdateNotification INITIAL_BUY to a user?

I've seen this thread about using 'original_transaction_id' to associate a server notification to a user.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/248343#248343

But that will only work once the server has associated an 'original_transaction_id' to a user; not on INITIAL_BUY.

The expected scenario is that the user subscribes on the app, and then the app sends the receipt to my server and the association is made then.

But if that call from the app to my server fails, and I get a server notification of an INITIAL_BUY, how can my server associate that receipt to a user.

I don't think it can.

That is a scenario I wish was supported as a fallback mechanism.

Thanks,

casey

Replies

> But if that call from the app to my server fails

The standard procedure is to signal back to the app that the server received the call. If the app doesn't get that signal then it sends the call again.

My app can continue to retry the message until it gets a success, but the user will still be locked out of my services until the device/app are able to send this message. For a payment system as large as Apple's iAP, I'm amazed there is no way to associate user information to purchases as @kcchesnut-match details here as a fallback mechanism.

The notification goes from the Apple servers to your server just as an aid to help you manage the process. The notification is not the official record of the purchase. The real purchase event happens between the App Store and the user's device and is documented by a receipt delivered to the user's device. That event and receipt should lead to unlocking services for that user's device on your servers.