SKEL UI/UX is still not consistent.

In b7, the SKEL UX is still consistent.

It might be useful to list some of the inconsistencies in case they have not been observed yet.

1. the behavior of the Security & Privacy pref pane is inconsistent when you approve an identity:

If there is only one identity to approve, the button is labeled "Allow". If you click it, that's it. You're done. OK, this matches the TN.

If there are more than one identity to approve, the button is labeled "Allow…" . If you click it, an alert sheet is displayed and there is a list of identities. If you check the same identity as above and click OK. A dialog appears and suggests you to restart the Mac. Not OK.

2. the wording of the SKEL texts is inconsistent:

In the Security & Privacy pref pane, it talks about "System software".

In the "System Extension Blocked" alert, it talks about "System extension(s)".

3. the entire SKEL thing prevents root processes and users with administrative privileges to kextload a kernel extension. Yet, any user can later load the same kernel extension from the Security & Privacy pref pane (i.e. you don't need to unlock the pref pane with an admin password).

----

It would be very useful to know and see the correct final behavior and wording regarding the SKEL feature as 3rd party developers have to provide concise instructions to their end users because of the lack of instructions provided by the current SKEL UI implementation.

Bug reports have been filed.

Replies

Bug reports have been filed.

But you decided not to include them here because you thought I needed more practice in searching Radar? (-:

Also, just as an aside, it’s best to avoid relying on custom acronyms in the subject line of your post. I came this close to not viewing your thread because I’ve never seen the acronym “SKEL” before.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

> But you decided not to include them here because you thought I needed more practice in searching Radar? (-:

Here's the list so far: 34108995, 34080512, 33236899, 33538018, 33800719, 33774175, 33773829, 33624188, 33512585, 33004359, 33511007

> Also, just as an aside, it’s best to avoid relying on custom acronyms in the subject line of your post.

Well, considering that you have to type the subject of thread in a police size of 256 in the forum post editor, the shorter the subject is, the better it is.

> I’ve never seen the acronym “SKEL” before.

Yet it's used in the Localizable.strings files of the Security & Privacy pref pane ;-)

In b8:

- problem #1 is fixed but there's still the issue that, with the list of identities case, when you click Cancel, it's like clicking OK.

In GM candidate:

- the Cancel big bug is still there.

- the inconsistent Restart dialog bug is back.

- some kernel extensions are loaded after approval. Some are not.

- the popup alert is still not localized.

This SKEL feature looks like a fiasco.