Xcode 8 Editing very slow

i downloaded the xcode Version 8.0 (8A218a) yesterday and my xcode editor became extremely slow. i can type in a complete line before i see anything on the screen and then the screen displays one character at a time at less than one character per second. the file i am editing i about 1.1 MB. this all worked perfectly before the update. i have tried a new file and copying my old file into it, but that didn't work. the current line highlighting is new as well.

thanks,

tom lindner

FILE:

kind: C Source

size: 1,090,739 bytes (1.1 MB on disk)

MAC:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.6 (15G1004)

Replies

Same issue on 8.2.1 (8C1002) running on MBP/Mid-2015/2.2GHz i7/16GB ram. I open a .xib from Xamarin using the option to "Right click > Open with... > Xcode Interface Builder". It opens the .xib, starts indexing, then there is a massive drop in performance. I can barely select items to delete from the .xib, I tried dragging a View from the lower right. Constraining views on the page is virtually impossible since even the mouse cursor lags.

There is no reason this should bog down to an excruciating crawl. It's basically impossible to use. I tried downgrading back to 7.3.1, but Xamarin recently had an update that must have broken communication between the latest Xamarin build and 7.3.1, so now I'm forced to use 8.2.1. This is the worst.

EDIT:

On further investigation, it was the specific .xib I was working with. In the Simulated Metrics for the view, the "Top Bar" property was set to "Opaque Navigation Bar". Setting that option to "None" increased performance from -1000x to 1x. I have no idea why.

Clearing these directories did wonders for me. I'm using Xcode 8.3.1. Thanks @nico419 !

Note that Xcode 8.3.2 touts further performance improvements.

i have that problem w/xcode 8.3.3. it is particulalry acute when running from the battery. plug in the machine (it's old, old, old) and i sometimes don't notice the delay. go figure.

I absolutely agree with you

The problem still persists with xcode 9 GM, the editor doesn't feel fast like other do, maybe the problem is that xcode is building behind, the autobuild system should be running when user is not interacting with xcode otherwise it makes xcode feel very slow. I have the macbook pro 15 i7 2.7 GHz 16 Gb Ram 512 ssd radeon 455, it should be flying but it doesn't which is disapointing for an 2700 E piece of hardware. Also the graphics card has problem with the video drivers it does not draw everytime and some red rectangles appear where the windows should be until it gets focus, but there's a rumor it will disappear in mac os sierra high so i'll won't report as a bug yet.

xCode 8.2.1 is too slow to work.

specially for editing the *.xib file, please help me

3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris 1536 MB