Having Multiple Similar Apps

Like many developers of travel apps, I have different guides for different cities.

The main reason for this is search, an app can only be optimized for so many keywords and if multiple cities were combined into a single app, it would not show up in search for people looking for a guide for most of those cities even though the app has guides for them.

Another reason it to not require a separate download. For travelers with poor internet connections, having a container app that requires multiple in-app downloads is less desirable than just downloading the whole app up-front.

I notice many developers are allowed to have dozens of apps like this. All the same app with just different content for numerous cities. Here are some examples:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/ulmon-gmbh/id306906820

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/travel-guide-offline-maps/id1086721423

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/etips-ltd/id330954824

I just had my apps rejected with this note. Can someone explain how other developers are allowed to do this and not me and what I could do to be allowed to do the same as they are?

"2.20 - Developers "spamming" the App Store with many versions of similar Apps will be removed from the iOS Developer Program

We noticed that your app provides the same feature set as other apps you've submitted to the App Store; it simply varies in content or language.

Specifically, all of your travel guide apps have identical icons when installed on the device.

Apps that use the same - or very similar - icons make it difficult for users to find apps and are considered a form of spam.

Please combine apps with a common features set into a single "container" app that uses the In-App Purchase API to deliver different content."

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of tomkincaid Down vote post of tomkincaid
40k views

Replies

So, gentlemen, it's my turn to get notified by Apple.

What is the best way?

1 - Create individual accounts for each app?

2 - Abandon the apple store and start publishing the apps using the enterprise account, and creating my own store?

What is your suspicion?

Thank you.

Not sure why you think your choices lie between honoring one (1) agreement and violating another (2).

Apple appears to be pushing owned accounts and/or container apps, not recommending unauthorized use of enterprise account.

This new guideline is absolutely ridiculous! I can't see how it is a better experience for our endpoint user. Apple is forcing a lot of companies to change their business model. App Store is going to offer a poor market for the developers.

grasshopper80

Posted in other forum, just a perfect answer to the problem:

Where's the line? If I have a "Coke" app and a "Pepsi" app, should those be released under a single "Soft Drink" app? The customer's branding on the home screen and the app name matter.

Has anyone tried changing their apps to B2B apps in response? I don't think it's something you can enable once the app's been on the App Store so it's a huge disruption for existing users, but I want to know if it's at least an option for new clients.

I'm also getting 4.2.6/4.3 rejections for a "white label" app for specific clients (my own code, not another service).

Looks like you can only assign Apple ID to who can download the app for B2B.

That's not how it works. You assign an Apple ID to whomever can "buy" the app in bulk. They get codes and give those codes out to be redeemed like a gift card by the end-users.

Yeah we also got hit really hard with this one. We make apps for small fast food/takeaways etc. They dont have a huge development budget so a lot of the code underneath is re-used.

A single container app is not an option as we need to be able to let them send push notifications with special offers and promo codes for weekly deals. We already have a container app and compared to the individual apps we see hardly any usage at all maybe 5% total usage.

Its a huge problem for these small businesses make no mistake. I cant see any positives for the end user food ordering public its just an extra hassle for them.

Hi, we do same thing: Food ordering platform/app for restaurants.
Each app have unique menu, tax fee, coupons, loyalt programs and push notifications...

This thing will burn out my business...

Stupid rule. Everybody loses!! Developers, his clients and Apple which will loses thousands of developers and the anual fee!

Same for me. I will have to close my company!

Just got burned. Had created matching games with the characters from different sticker packs and was going to bundle each matching game with the appropriate sticker pack and offer all at discounts via bundles but Apple can't be persuaded of the benefit to the end user. The first three were approved. On the 4th and final the rule kicked in. Too bad they've lost the ability to think.

You are the whole reason we are in this mess. Doing what you did is SPAM. Create one app and do your characters. You guys have burnt real developers that have real clients that want apps.

Same here about competitors, ***....

Thiago, qual seu whatsapp vamos trocar algumas ideias?
Um abraço!