iOS 11 Simulator unusable slow

Hi,

the iOS 11 Simulator is unusable slow for me when using MKMapKit. I'm getting <= 1 FPS with major UI lag when:

- Running an app using MKMapView

- Running the preinstalled Maps app

I'm on High Sierra (17A315i), using Retina MBP Mid 2012, Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000 / GeForce GT 650M.

iOS 10.x Simulators are working fine with Xcode 9.

Replies

I am experiencing the same issue.

After installing Xcode Beta 4 all my MapKit code is not usable in iOS simulator due to slow speed.

I have reverted to Beta 3 where it runs perfectly.

Hopefully this is solved in Beta 5.

Not solved in Beta 5...

I'm back to Beta 3

I tried Beta 5 with iOS 10.3.1 iPhone Simulator. It is usable but Xcode makes the CPU go crazy.

I am also back on Beta 3.

Has anybody reported this issue?

This happens to me also on a mapView. It works fine on a device but the simultor is worthless in this state. I have file a bug report.

We are aware of this issue.

You can try alternate rendering modes which should help but won't completely solve the problem:

defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferRendererHint X

Where X is:

0 = auto

1 = Metal

2 = OpenCL

3 = OpenGL

Tried the workarround in Beta 6. It did not help anything. It is still too slow to be usable. Especially when testing MKMapView.

It seems like Beta 6 does not stress the CPU as much as Beta 5 when running code in the simulator.

Beta 3 or hardware is still the way to go when testing.

Also experiencing really bad FPS in SceneKit (not just MapKit). Even running the default SceneKit project (with the plane spinning etc), the iOS 11 simulator runs <=3 FPS in SceneKit. Can't really understand if I am the only one having the problem. The MacBook Pro I run on is early 2015 version, but until XCode 9 I haven't had a problem at all.

Intel Core i5

16GB RAM

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

250GB Flash Storage (Not full)

Anyone else having this problem with SceneKit (not just MapKit) as well?

Edit: Added hardware details

OK. Please file a bug report about this, even if it is a duplicate it will be very helpful. Attach the output of "xcrun simctl diagnose".

Please file a bug report about this, even if it is a duplicate it will be very helpful. Please attach the output of "xcrun simctl diagnose".

Yes, I've seen this since the first beta of XCode 9. It's OK with the simulator for iOS10.x and earlier, but the iOS11 simulator is unusably slow (like 30 seconds to zoom them Map in or out, even when there's no annotations). There doesn't appear to be any problem when debugging on a genuine iOS11 device, so it seems to be confined to the iOS11 simulator.

I've submitted a bug report with diagnostics per the Apple Tech request.

Hey Apple, please take this seriously. It is probably blocking the UI-thread with some kind of internal background operation, causing extremly long UI delays. Hopyfully this does not slip into the GM.

Unfortunately Xcode 9 GM still contains this bug!!

I am not able to test my MapKit App due to very slow performance.

This starts to get very annoying as I have to turn to beta 3 which was the last version with good simulator performance.

Apple please...

It's still the same in the GM

Sad to see that this problem still exists in the GM build 😟

Simulator on GM is completely useless. on my Mac Pro 2009 even springbord is slow in the simulator