how can we built something like ArMeasure App using ArKit and starting point and help???

Can you guide me to start using the measuring feature of the ArKit. I'm been looking forward to your replay

Replies

Some basic steps:

1) Detect the starting point (to put the start end of the measurer), current point (when measuring) or end point (when you completed)

2) Put / adjust your measurer from starting point to current / end point

3) Get the length between two points

2) is simple step. Once you have a measurer (you may create yourself a simple one from SCNBox / SCNNode or load a 3D model), scale up to the right length, put it in the right location (based on two given points), ARKit will do the rest, including showing and maintaining the location of the measurer in AR world.

3) is the simplest one. ARKit measures everything in metter, with a very simple math formular you can get length between 2 given points

1) is simple but actually so tricky, IMO. You look into 3D world via a 2D screen. You have no idea how far the starting / ending points from your device to the object which you are measuring. Plane detection is useless since users may want to measure everything which is may not link to any plane. We may suppose users should measure an object with a fix distance from the device (it work but that is a bit hard for user to maintain that distance when measuring - varying on distance / angle may affect badly to the result)

I don't have the code here. However if there are many people interesting I may create a demo 😉

Yes I am well interested and would love to see a tutorial. 🙂

Thanks , cheers

I am new into this field. If you can describe the steps a classes to modify and create that would be lovely. Also if a demo or tutorial can be created we are already thankful to you

Just completed the code. Cleaning up, writting a short document, making a video. Will post all within few days

Video of the app and discussion here:

h t t p s://youtu.be/o6AXuhk8Czs

The code is available for downloading:

h t t p s://github.com/nguyenpham/ARMeasuringTape

It is open source, comes with redundant comments, explainations.

Happy coding 🙂