Open iOS app from another app without URL scheme

Hi,
I have been wondering if is there any way i can open my iOS app from another app with the use of bundle identifier?
As i have already published apps and there were no URL scheme mentioned, and it is some how app dependent and URL scheme needs to be mentioned in each and every app.

And even if i add url scheme and launch update for all past apps it might not possible that each user will update it without using the new one from which i want to open past apps.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Accepted Reply

I have been wondering if is there any way i can open my iOS app from another app with the use of bundle identifier?

No. iOS has very limited IPC mechanisms and opening URLs is the only way to launch one app from another app.

And even if i add url scheme and launch update for all past apps it might not possible that each user will update it without using the new one from which i want to open past apps.

Right. You can use

-[UIApplication canOpenURL:]
to tell whether a URL scheme is supported by any app on the device. If it returns
NO
, you can then tell your user that they have to install version X or later of the target app.

Finally, before you go too far into URL schemes be aware that recent versions of iOS put some limits on how much you can use this mechanism. Watch WWDC 2015 Session 703 Privacy and Your App for the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

No. iOS has very limited IPC mechanisms and opening URLs is the only way to launch one app from another app.

Right. You can use

-[UIApplication canOpenURL:]
to tell whether a URL scheme is supported by any app on the device. If it returns
NO
, you can then tell your user that they have to install version X or later of the target app.

Finally, before you go too far into URL schemes be aware that recent versions of iOS put some limits on how much you can use this mechanism. Watch WWDC 2015 Session 703 Privacy and Your App for the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for the informations.
This confirmed my concern about complusion of permission.

When we open another ios app using bundleUrlScheme and if app is opened in background then how to avoid waking up the app from background? Is it possible to terminate app first from background process and then open the app using URL?

As per current documentation and behaviour if app is already opened in background process then and request is sent to open the app then it is switched from background to foreground.

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/Inter-AppCommunication/Inter-AppCommunication.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH6-SW2

handling URL request section.

Hi,

I am pretty sure some app without URL Schema on apple store. I installed it on my phone.

Why I can open it from "App Store" on my phone? How to do this?

Thanks