Beta 4 won't load our kernel extension: Insecure location

After upgrading to beta 4, our kernel extension fails to load. I'm aware of the changes High Sierra made for "Secure Kernel Extension loading" (as stupid of a name as that is), but this appears unrelated.

kextutil seems to complain about an "insecure location", despite us using the location provided by the OS:

homer$ sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/MyKext.kext

Kext rejected due to insecure location: <OSKext 0x7f8b2cc3fb60 [0x7fffb1bb7260]> { URL = "file:/ "com.foo.mykext" } Rejecting invalid/inauthentic kext for bundle id com.foo.mykext at location file://Library/Extensions/MyKext.kext

Has anybody else seen this? Should I file a bug?

Replies

Let me clarify that the kernel extensions loaded fine previous to beta 4, after getting the approval in System Preferences. Something seems to have changed now.

Having the same issue after upgrading to beta 4

Step one when a kext doesn't load: run "kextutil -nt" to get full diagnostics.

Step two, especially on a beta when behavior seems to change, file a bug and please post the bug number here.

Thanks,

--gc

Filed 33544267.

FWIW, others are reporting the same problem with Parallels and VMWare.

Hi BoilerLA, I'm having the same issue with loading the kext (after unloading previous version of this kext). Perhaps you're familiar with a set of action so that the problem will always reproduce. Also, did you got back from Apple about the bug you filled ? Thanks

Hi,

Anybody got the solution for this problem. I am having same problem and nowhere to find solution

The specific issue covered by this thread (r. 33544267) was apparently resolved before macOS 10.13 shipped, so I very much doubt you’re having the same problem (-: If you post more details about your problem, I’d be happy to have a look.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"