App updates fail when packet tunnel provider enabled on iOS 11 beta 3

I'm observing problems upgrading apps with an active packet tunnel provider on iOS 11. This issue was previously reported as a bug and believed to be solved in iOS 10.2. Unfortunately I have to report that this issue is back on iOS 11 and based on the tests it seems to be 100% reproducible.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Ad Hoc / TestFlight version of app

2. Enable tunnel provider

3. Update to new version of app (App store version, Testflight or OTA)

4. Find that the update fails, a dialog is shown that the download failed

Previously (after the fix deployed on 10.2), I would see the VPN icon go away shortly before the download starts. Now, on iOS 11 beta 3, I see that the VPN icon remains visible and the extension is not closed before attempting to download a new version. The console logs specify the following:

Jul 17 13:55:52 <devicename> SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[53] <Notice>: Error acquiring hold on plugins for <your.app.bundleID>: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=14 "plug-ins are busy" UserInfo={busyPlugInUUIDs=(
        {
        XPCExtensionBundleIdentifier = "<your.tunnelprovider.bundleID>";
    }
), NSLocalizedDescription=plug-ins are busy}

This bug is observed for our own apps, internal test apps as well as a handful of app store apps using packet tunnel providers. It has been reproduced on iPhone 5s, iPhone 7 and iPhone 6 plus.

This issue has previously been addressed in this topic: App updates when using NEPacketTunnelProvider

Replies

A bug is reported with id 33453549. Hoping for a speedy fix!

I am still experiencing this issue on iOS11 beta 4. To be clear, all apps offering VPN via a packet tunnel provider have a serious issue as they are not able to update when enabled on iOS 11.

Me too. I have the same issue.

This issue is resolved for us with iOS 11 b5

Sadly, this fails again in iOS 11 beta 10. Are others seeing this?

--Jan

Hi, we are experiencing the same problem on iOS 11.2.5 when updating via TestFlight. Could you please tell us if

in your case the problem occurs with AppStore updates, or only with custom over-the-air distribution?