App updates when using NEPacketTunnelProvider

When using HockeyApp or other custom over-the-air app distribution methods, we are experiencing that the download and installation does not finish when running an active packet tunnel. Only after disabling the VPN and pausing/resuming the download on the home screen, the upgrade succeeds.

Could a similar scenario also happen when upgrading live apps from the app store, given that they are running a packet tunnel? Or are these fundamentally different processes?

Replies

On the iOS 10.2 Dev Beta 1, I am happy to report that I'm seeing updates work successfully, which is great!

Excellent news.

Can it be confirmed that this is intentionally working as promised now?

Yes, we expect this bug (r. 24542371) to be fixed in the current 10.2 seed (14C5062e). Then again, we expected it to be fixed in 10.0 )-: so I’m glad you’ve taken the time to verify it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I’ve seen this exact issue pop up again, sporadically (but frequent enough to reproduce) on at least 10.3.x. Exact same output, exact same behavior. Moreover this is a 100% reproducable bug again on iOS 11. Are there others with the same observations?

i can also confirm that this issue exists in iOS 10.3.x. https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/236521

Moreover this is a 100% reproducable bug again on iOS 11.

If you’re seeing this problem on the latest iOS 11 beta then you should definitely file a new bug about it. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks for following up, Eskimo. A bug was reported with bug number 33453549.

Unfortunately this bug still exists on iOS 11 beta 4. Are there any plans to fix this issue?

Unfortunately this bug still exists on iOS 11 beta 4.

Indeed.

Are there any plans to fix this issue?

I can’t make any definitive statements about the The Future™. I can say that we believe we understand the underlying cause of this issue — hence your bug being dup’d to another bug, (r. 31684555) — and that that cause has other, far reaching consequences.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

This issue seems to be fixed on beta 5, although I did not see any mention of it in the release notes.

This issue seems to be fixed on beta 5

That’s matches our expectations. Yay!

although I did not see any mention of it in the release notes.

Indeed. Each beta release has lots of changes and only the most significant ones get mentioned in the release notes.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi, we are experiencing the same problem on iOS 11.2.5 when updating via TestFlight. Could you please tell us if

in your case the problem occurs with AppStore updates, or only with custom over-the-air distribution.

Are you using anything to terminate the extension except for stopWithReason method?

im also having this bug

ios 13 app contain tunnel provider and vpn

cant update app via testflight when extention is runnig

1. <devicename> SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[53] <Notice>: Error acquiring hold on plugins for <your.app.bundleID>: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=14 "plug-ins are busy" UserInfo={busyPlugInUUIDs=(
  2. {
  3. XPCExtensionBundleIdentifier = "<your.tunnelprovider.bundleID>";
  4. }
  5. ), NSLocalizedDescription=plug-ins are busy}

this waht i get from the console

We're seeing this issue in iOS 13 as well.

Seeing as of iOS 14.1 as well.

Filed Feedback ID FB8070710 with no response from Apple Engineering.

Found the same thing: no problem with TestFlight upgrade paths. However production app upgrades in the App Store get intermittently "bricked". We are having trouble supporting this extension in production environments as it currently stands.