MacOS Sierra / kernel_task problem

I installed Mac OS sierra yesterday night in my MacBook Air13" (4gb) I also use an external SSD (Samsung T3).

Today I could not do any task because of CPU and ram usages.

First, I thought this is because of new OS, but then I check activity monitor and saw kernel_task use around 50-70% percent of CPU.

I wonder, what it is and how I can fix this problem (I found some entries in the forum, but I am not sure this is the same problem or not).

Thank you.

Replies

Having the same problem periodically since moving to Mac OS Sierra Beta 10.12.6. I do have a second monitor plugged in via Display Port adapter.

27 inch 5K Retina iMac late 2014

I have done a lot of investigation on this issue, and the only thing I found that worked was a) killing my Chrome helpers often and mercilessly, and b) turning off the Automatic Graphics Switching.

Here is an article about the script that I adapted from someone else that kills those Chrome helpers.

https://bigskytechguy.com/2017/05/30/is-chrome-on-mac-trashing-your-systems-resources/

Is this a solution?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mac-kernel-task-high-cpu-usage/

I bought the brand new 2017 top of the line maxed out MacBook Pro. Safely migrated from my previous MBP. Had it running fine for days.

It was running normal through the night, actually sitting idle as I had NO apps running. So when I sat down to use it, I just figured, why not reboot it. I did. And all **** broke lose even though NO apps were running, no crashes took place, no peripherals were changed.

First, the MacBook Pro (latest macOS Sierra) got stuck in rebooting literally halfway on the progress bar, at the stage before the screen changes brightness and the touchbar comes to life. High fan RPM could be heard. I did not do anything and let it run for 30 minutes in case it was doing some housecleaning on the 2TB SSD. Nope. Nothing changed.

So I had to press the power button and shut it down. I unplugged my USB-C hubs and devices. I rebooted in Safe Mode. Yet the high CPU (an unbelieavable 3570% .,.. wow... the 4 cores must have reproduced and made an extended family overnight!)... I could barely get Activity Monitor to launch in that stage.

Finally, it is On, running, with only Safari (to type this post) Console running, but the fans have not stopped running high speed since reboot. This is truly a weird experience to have a 100% (or make that a $50000%) normal reboot turn into a nightmare. I will try NVRAM and SMC resets next. But I welcome any suggestions.

IMRAN

Posting here for anyone still experiencing this issue. I tried everything I read in all the forums to solve this problem of kernel_task running high (most noticiably when connecting a 4k thunderbolt monitor).

I finally ordered a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver and a can of compressed air from Amazon and cleaned out all the dust. Surprisingly that did the trick! I have only had the retina macbook pro for 2 years or so, and was surprised at all the gunk that acculumulated inside. Everything working like new now, no more kernel_task freak-outs.

Good luck!

I've been battling this problem too, Samsung widescreen via DP over TB2. So far the suggestion to close the laptop and use only external monitors has lowered GPU temps and I have not (yet) crashed. The problem is GPU related so I doubt it will go away without any bug squashing but the system is fragile and keeping temps lower do seem to reduce the instabillity....

This is the only thing that works for me to get rid of these kernel_task behavior. Make a backup of the file /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist and store it at a safe place in case you need it to restore. Then delete the original file and reboot.

This is the only thing that works for me to get rid of these kernel_task behavior. Make a backup of the file /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist and store it at a safe place in case you need it to restore. Then delete the original file and reboot.

Good Luck

A word of warning to those who are experiencing this issue and followed the instructions to change the .kext and .plist files.

I did both of those changes, it did not fix the issue, and afterwards I tried to reset the NVRAM, which ended up causing extreme graphical glitches when booting up. I was unable to see any UI besides for strange graphical artifacts. The only solution was to boot into recovery, open the terminal from there, and put the files back to where they were. I was then back to normal, but I'm still experiencing the kernel_task issue when connecting to the external monitor.

So, be careful.

I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro. Have been frustrated with high kernal task with external monitor (BenQ) for about a year. Just got a dock for the MacBook and tried a USB-C/HDMI cable plugging it directly in to the Monitor and the MacBook Pro Thunderbolt 3 port. Now no issue with kernel task what so ever.

Go to Recovery mode, Choose Unitilly. Turn on Terminal.Type "csrutil disable" to disable SIP.

Restart.

go to

/System/library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/contents/plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/contents/resources/

delete the plist of your mac model.

Restart.

go back to Recovery mode enable SIP "csrutil enable"

Restart again.

solve my kernal_task problem.

Dual acreens on Macbook pro late 2011. Sierra.

I don't know why but some people may not find their mac model's plist in this location.

but this seems solve my problem, at least for now.

Wish this can help someone.

I am conected to a samsung 4K TV and it hasn't caused any problems. When I connect to my DELL monitor which is WAY smaller, that's when I start getting the spikes on my processor. Maybe my computer doesn't like that monitor?

has anyone else tried connecting to a TV instead of an actual monitor?