macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware"

macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware".

I have MacBookAir 6.2 13" with MBA 61.0099.B22. With 10.12.6 beta is no problem.

Replies

If I may ask, has anyone done any modifications to their hardware?

My MBA 2014 upgraded just fine. My MacBook Pro late 2012 did not and I am curious if its because I made my own fusion setup by moving the original drive to the second bay and adding a non-standard SSD in the original bay.

That is the only thing that I can think of that would be "firmware" related besides the mac. Well that and checking for the original superdrive firmware.

Thoughts?

I finally got a working solution but it took a lot of time. I will separate my steps with action items that were inconclusive and then the ones that were a bit more conclusive. Everything was done in this order:

Inconclusive:

1) Reboot and reset SMC

2) Reboot and reset PRAM

3) Ran a disk first aid after the installer crashed. It is a newer version you can find form the menu.

4) Downloaded and Reinstalled the "Public Beta Access Utility" dmg from the site.

5) Logged out of the App Store and logged back in.

6) Ran installer and it failed again.

Conclusive:

1) While I was in the Public Beta dmg I verified what it was installing. (you can view this by selecting 'Show Files' after launching the installer)

2) It is installing a file called 'Beta License.lpdf' in ./Library/Documentation/

3) I removed that file and a folder called "Eagle" ./Library/Documentation/Resources

4) I deleted the macOS high Sierra installer form ./Applications

5) I rebooted and ran the 'Public Beta Access Utility' pkg again.

5) I ran the installer utility with APFS checked.

6) The install started then rebooted a couple of times.

7) During one of the reboots the firmware update screen came up! My Firmware was being updated.

8) The installer went further and then gave an unable to install.

9) I chose 'restart' and the MBP immediately went into kernel panic screen.

10) I rebooted once more with command-r and saw it was the High Sierra recovery.

11) I ran Disk Utility first aid once more from recovery. No errors but better safe than sorry.

12) I did not reboot and instead chose to reinstall macOS High Sierra from recovery.

13) I did NOT select the 'APFS' option this time.

14) The install process proceeded and it took a LONG time.

15) Computer rebooted and voila. I am in High Sierra on a non APFS drive. (I have a third party SSD in first bay and original HDD in second bay)

Crazy steps. I have not converted my Fusion drive to APFS yet. I hope this helps.

j

I was doing it with OWC Aura SSD and the Apple SSD, same problem, firmware error

Third party SSD indeed

I thought that as well but that firmware error has been across a bunch of differnet mac's....

I run a DIY Fusion Drive in my mid 2012 15" non-retina MBP (been running for 4 years without an issue). I kept the original HDD bay for the HDD and installed the SSD in an OWC data doubler cage in the optical drive bay space. Both drives are NON Apple (INTEL 520 SSD / WD Black HDD). I had no issues with the inline APFS conversion of the Fusion Drive during the public beta install. I have NO superdrive installed on my MBP and no warnings popped up during either the High Sierra install or the APFS conversion.

Oh. This is even after doing the steps I laid out and removing that file?

Interesting.

Curious, too. Mac Pro 2013, 4TB OWC Aura, 10.13 beta 2.

Haven't done the SMC / PRAM reset, yet. Other config ...

same thing - OWC SSD drive 3rd party installed....most definitely is the cause.....anyone have this error WITHOUT a 3rd party SSD? Apple doing this on purpose when 3rd party SSD detected.....need workaround!

I followed the steps mentioned above but no luck. Is there anything else that works. I have resarted couple of times, deleted license and Eagle file/folder and downloaded installers again and again. Not to mention I have done SMC/PRAM reset as well. I have 2013 MBA with 480GB OWC Aura SSD.

Resetting the SMC won't do anything in this case since the SMC handles more of the lower hardware fuctions other then

Selecting an external video source for iMac displays

oon the Beta you won't need it.

Perhaps the Pram could help but the only way I can see it working in this issue would be for a startup-disk selection.

I would jump into running a disk check then trying to reinstall the Beta

Modellname: MacBook Air

Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookAir6,2

Prozessortyp: Intel Core i7

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 1,7 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 2

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 4 MB

Speicher: 8 GB

Boot-ROM-Version: MBA61.0099.B22

SMC-Version (System): 2.13f15

Seriennummer (System):

Hardware-UUID:

thanks michaelfromnull, my Boot-ROM-Version: MBA61.0099.B22 is higher than the Boot Rom from your link, that is MBA61.0099.B20

no luck with beta 3

I put in the 1TB SSD from OWC for the Mac Pro (late 2013). I inquired with the OWC tech support but they had not tested their drives yet with the Beta's. Last attempt I made was with Beta 2, but no luck.