Time machine backup fails in High Sierra

After installing 10.13 Beta (17A264c) all time machine backups fail with the following message:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Backup”.

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

Tried backing up from zero on a new disk and incremental backups to existing backup disk...comes back with the same error message

Replies

Nope

I can't use the Time Machine disks either since installing the High Sierra 17A291m beta.

I deleted the time machine .plist file, re-selected the disk, encoding / encrypting took a long time, then Time Machine reports "waiting for completion of first backup copy" and when I manually select "backup now" the response is "there is no disk to backup from".

I wonder what to do next.

Time Machine is disabled in 10.13 (17A291m).

From the release notes:

Time Machine is disabled for macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 2 update 1 (17A291m). Apple recommends turning off Time Machine for APFS volumes on earlier versions of macOS 10.13 beta 2 as the space for snapshot files may not be freed correctly. (33006905)

I had the same problem. I spent too much time on time machine. So, I cloned the drive instead. It worked.

+1 for me. I have logged a bug report for High Sierra 17A291m beta. 'No Backup Disk Available'. To try rule a few things out, I also get this with a network Time Machine via QNAP which used to also work. I was suspicious around disk utility as it's pretty buggy requiring reboots for me. But given the QNAP is the same, it's not going to be the partitions or anything.

Suggest others log a bug report too so it's well noticed.

Maybe if you read the release notes for beta 2 update 1, you'd have noticed that Time Machine is currently disabled for beta 2 update 1 root volumes, and advised to be manually disabled for beta 2.

I always struggle to find the release notes for the betas, could you point me to where I can find them?

http://adcdownload.apple.com/Documentation/Beta_Release_Notes_Jun_21_2017/macOS_10.13_beta_2_Release_Notes.pdf

I'm using an alternative backup method (Chronosync) to back up my Mac for now...

In my case, I think that the problem is originated because the Macintosh HD is inclued in the items than cannot be respalded , when you go to options in Time Machine, then appear de alert. I cant remove de HD to this list, anyone have any good idea ?. Thanks from Argentina.

Apple removed the ability to TM the boot drive for this build due to issues with APFS mishandling free space.

Time Machine is disabled for macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 2 update 1 (17A291m). Apple recommends turning off Time Machine for APFS volumes on earlier versions of macOS 10.13 beta 2 as the space for snapshot files may not be freed correctly.

And when will Backups be possible again? 10.13 beta 2?

Any idea as to how to free up that space? System has been steadily increasing in size and my drive is running out of space. Updating to the latest beta doesn't seem to have solved this.

The relase notes are only available to paid developers, for everyone else, the "release notes" are just "has changes in it"

With final High Sierra I had the same problem, backing up to a Nas4free time machine server.

The solution that worked for me was to deleted all the backups on the time machine and then start a new backup with finished succesfully.