External Hard Drive not Mounting

Since updating to macOS Sierra, my Seagate 1TB Harddrive isn't being read or mounted by my Retina MacBook Pro (2014) ... It appears in Disk Utility but not in Finder or on the Desktop ... In Disk Utility I cannot do anything but format it which I DO NOT want to do .. Any suggestions or help?!

Add a Comment

Replies

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I have a G Drive Mini 1T 0G02577 which is failing to mount. This is connected to a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) which I have recently updated to Sierra 10.12.4. It may be coincidence but I have only had this problem since updated the OS, until then the disk was mounting and running without any problems.

I can see the drive in Disk Utilities and also in ‘About this Mac > System Preferences > Hardware > USB', but it will not mount. I have seen that some other users have experienced similar issues with portable drives failing to mount since this OS update so I am wondering if this may be the problem?

I desperately need to retrieve the data on the disk. If anyone has any advice I would be so grateful of any help resolving this.

This was usefull for me many times! http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

I did your suggestion while sipping on vodka: plugged the external drive to a Windows laptop... replugged it to my Macbook Air.. and voila, external drive is showing on the desktop.

It may have been the vodka, though. But seriously, thanks for this suggestion. No downgrading to El Capitan needed!

It has happend to me as well, what i did , i had older mac with old system and i just run older disk utility repear disk permission and did fix the problem.

New systems can not do the same job......

Lacie drive do have some issues if you format HD as Ex fat.....

This did not work for me.
I spent some time searching and came up with this solution that did work:

Opwn the finder preferences:
Finder > Preference
In the general tab reset the default values:
1. Show these items on the desktop (uncheck all)
2. New Finder Windows show (All My Files)

3. Open folders in tabs instead of new windows (check)

Then I unplug and plug back in my HD.

I then Reset System Management Controller SMC:

Shut down

Press and hold

shift, ctrl cmd(option) + power

When I booted and set my finder preference back to show all external HD's. everything worked and I have not had a problem since.

Now even my Tech Tool emergency disk is performing correctly.

iMac Late 2013 27"

Sierra 10.12.4

• I tried the open preferences bit down to replugging in the drive and this worked for me. Thank you @dcp2798

Add a Comment

Hi,

i ran the commands you instructed to run in terminal. I have a 15 inch pro retina from 2014 and I have a seagate 2TB drive. after running the commands it says - unable to find disk for seagate. I'm starting to wonder if my usb cord is broken or the external drive itself. any ideas?

Follow these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7904838?start=0&tstart=0

After this, my problems with external usb/thunderbolt drives were solved.

why my verbatim plug in macbook pro touch bar is working but cannot read my flash drive but before it can read my flash drive? The flash drive is not showing in finder and disk utility but when i charging via the verbatin it is work

Aatt 123456aatt

Yeah this discussion is useful

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7904838?start=0&tstart=0

1. Relaunch the Finder.

The discs may be mounted and available; however, if the Finder is having troubles displaying them then it may appear as though the discs are not mounted. Press the Option key and right-click the Finder icon in the Dock, and choose "Relaunch".

2. Change the port.

Sometimes there are differences in the USB ports on the system, which result in power or speed differences that can result in external devices not being recognized properly. Try each USB or FireWire port available on your system (use FireWire 400/800 adaptors or conversion cables if necessary) to see if that helps. You can also try this when booted into Safe Mode, to see if any third-party plug-ins or nonessential features of OS X are contributing to the problem.

3. Plug in power adaptor (if available).

Some external drives come with optional power adaptors (especially smaller and more portable drives). If you have one, try plugging it in so the drive is not reliant upon bus power. Low power can definitely prevent a drive from working properly.

4. Avoid daisy-chaining.

When troubleshooting USB or firewire devices, unplug all except for the problematic device (and your keyboard and mouse, of course) and plug it directly into your system. Do not route it through the keyboard or a USB/FireWire hub, as this is yet another source for incompatibilities and problems.

5. Try a different connection type.

Some devices have both USB and FireWire ports, so use each of them to see if the device works. If it does with any of the ports, then you know the device is probably not to blame and can focus on troubleshooting the bus/connector that is causing issues.

6. Run general maintenance.

Give your computer a once-over maintenance run. Reset the PRAM and SMC, followed by booting into Safe Mode and clearing caches and performing a permissions fix with various maintenance utilities (********, Yasu, OnyX, just to name a few). Then boot normally and reboot again (the first boot will fill caches and be a little slower than the second) before trying the problematic external drive.

7. Drive problems

Last but not least, there may be problems with the drive itself, which can be caused by a number of issues including power or connection interruptions without properly unmounting the drive (a frequent occurrence for external drives). For information on how to tackle partition and volume problems,see this article.

Hope this will be helpful.

How you downgrade?

If you want to write to or edit an NTFS-formatted drive on macOS, there are several ways to do it. You'll be able to read what's on the drive, but have full compatibility to access and edit what's on it. there is a way to easily add that using Paragon NTFS for Mac.

for more details please click the link

[https://singapore.zapplerepair.com/detail-list-macbookpro.php?id=103&slug=how-to-write-and-edit-drive-ntfs-in-mac-os]

First, check if you have a NTFS hard drive. You can do this by going to Disk Utility (by pressing Cmd + Space)

If you have a NTFS file system, you can try the Paragon NTFS Driver (https://www.seagate.com/support/software/paragon). However, I haven't had much luck with the NTFS file system on Mac. So I've ended up formatting them to ExFAT.

If you have an ExFAT hard drive that isn't mounting, try running the following commands -

1. Plug in your hard drive
  2. Run ps aux | grep fsck - This will show if fsck is using your hard drive (typically happens when you don't eject it properly)
  3. Run sudo pkill -f fsck - This will kill the process and immediately show your hard drive in Finder

Hope this works

• This solution works for me. Before that, after plugging in my SSD 4TB, the Disk Utility didn't show any thing until I run the pkill to kill all processes that shown by 'ps aux | grep fsck ' (I need to repeat the pkill several times). And then I click mount in the Disk Utility and need to wait for a long time (>1hr). Then my SSD is shown in Find.

Hope the post help Apple to identify the performance issue of the mounting process.

p.s. I am on macOS 14.3.1 , Macbook pro 13-inch (M1 chip)

Add a Comment

i have the same issue bought a retina, my external hard drive was working fine in my old mac it was locked with password. my pass is correct when i tried it on Data Recovery software. but now in both of my Macbook pro the external hard drive is detected but not working and not even asking for password like Data Recovery software. if someone find a solution please help.

I realised that the disk format is changing from NTFS to EXFAT. I had to use different operating system to read the data and format back to NTFS which I believe Mac OS supports.