VoIP without Internet access

Hi

We are a TETRA company. TETRA is the standard used for example by public safety and security in their communication devices. We have developed a kind of VoIP iOS app capable to join the TETRA network (via an IP network). The iOS app is primarly used for Push-To-Talk voice communication with many call/speech items.

The iOS app mantains a TCP connection to the server also when the application is in the background (VoIP background mode) in order to receive messages about incoming call/speech items.

Apple has deprecated the VoIP application background mode forcing to use the new Push Notification VoIP API (PushKit).

One of the problem we are facing is that some customers does not allow the access to internet in their operation. It is only possible to access the customer private IP network via WiFi connection.

Is there any way to use PushKit without accessing the Internet (the APNs) ?

If not is there any alternative to mantain a permanent connection to the server in order to receive messages about incoming call/speech items ?

The timepath from the PUSH-TALK -> LISTEN is very important and it is very short, which prevent any form for polling.

Thanks

Domenico

Accepted Reply

No. There isn’t a good way to implement your product on the new VoIP architecture. There’s a long thread about this over on App Frameworks > iOS Multitasking, and I can’t offer any advice here beyond what I’ve posted over there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

No. There isn’t a good way to implement your product on the new VoIP architecture. There’s a long thread about this over on App Frameworks > iOS Multitasking, and I can’t offer any advice here beyond what I’ve posted over there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"