Brightness Issue

Hey has anyone else had this issue with Beta 2 where their brightness seems to be stuck on just half even when the on screen picks up the brightness being changed... I can’t seem to be able to turn brightness up at all and all since beta 2? Any ideas what but it might be so I know where I’m looking so can submit the report to Apple so nobody else gets it... Running 15inch mid 2010 MBP 1tb SSD and 8GB Ram

Replies

I am having the same issue on an ealry 2011 Macbook Pro. The brightness cannot be adjusted, and is locked at whatever the ambient light sensor determined it should be.

Seeing the same thing on my mid-2010 15" MBP. 500GB SSD, 8GB ram. Was fine in Beta 1.

Ahh, kinda glad that others are getting the issue...thought I was going mad using disk verify to see if that caused it and no avail...Hopefully fixed in beta 3!

Me too. I did submit a bug report to Apple this morning.

Me three on a 2011 15" MBP. My machine also is running in dedicated graphics mode full time despite having automatic graphics switching turned on. This is an issue introduced in beta 1 and not resolved in beta 2.

Seems they're having trouble with graphics related things on these older non-metal Macs (all the pre-2012's). I too have filed bug reports.

Me too. I have noticed that the built-in display shows as Automatically Adjust Brightness: No in System Information. This is possibly why it doesn't change brightness.

MBP Early 2011, 8GB RAM, 500GB, 2.0 Ghz i7

Just checked in the System information, mine too has "No" on the automatic brightness. My card is AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB.

Are any of you also experiencing this issue?

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/239947#239947

Same here and just checked again after beta 2 update 1 and still same issue....anyone else?

yes, same issue continues to remain. I filed a bug report which got marked as a duplicate, so at least they know about it.

yes, but it is intermittent. initially sleeping by closing the lid didn't work for me at all - i resolved this by doing this in terminal, as suggested in another thread:

sudo pmset standby 1

Now I am able to sleep/wake by closing/opening the lid as well as through  Menu or the Power button. Regardless of sleep method, the screen fails to light up after wake from sleep about half the time.

I've got the same issue on my mid-2012 MBP. Can't change the brightness to save my life, and the brightness slider in System Preferences only shows up sometimes, and sliding it doesn't work either. SMC and PRAM resets and fresh install won't cut it either.

whether the brightness slider appears as well as whether the f1/f functions cause the brightness indication to popup on the screen is dependent on WHICH graphics card is driving the display (at least on the mid 2012 non-retina 15"). They appear when the integrated INTEL graphics is in control but NOT when running the discrete graphics. Regardless, they do NOTHING to actually impact the screen brightness.

I'm having a similar, but not as severe issue. I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013 500GB SSD, running 10.13 Beta 2 with APFS. Upgraded from 10.12; not a clean install. For me the screen dims, as previously described it seems like the light sensor decides the screen needs to be dimmed, even when plugged in, and i have to turn up the brightness. Then it will sometimes randomly dim again. Other times there is no problem. My display brightness does not get stuck, i can always turn it up. I'd be interested to know if anyone with the same model Mac has a similar issue?

same here, late 2011 15" MBP2.2 I7. feels like i'm burning my retina's out.