Time machine backup fails in High Sierra

After installing 10.13 Beta (17A264c) all time machine backups fail with the following message:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Backup”.

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

Tried backing up from zero on a new disk and incremental backups to existing backup disk...comes back with the same error message

Replies

When I upgraded and I kept getting a looking for Backup Disk in my Time Machine so I went into settings and removed the TM and then put it back as the TM, it then was Preparing for Backing for about 1 hour 5 minutes. It finally backed up and now I have no problems. It seems like you have to play around to get the first backup to work.

Remember the Time Machine has to stay as HFS+

I get that error message straight away, it doesn't even get to the stage where it says Preparing for Backup....and yes Time Machine is HFS+

Hey, I have also a problem with my backups. Whats strange about it - my backup on 1 time capsule and 1 usb3 connected HD worked fine yesterday with the beta. But now there is no chance to get it work. Try to delete the HD in timemachine and turn it on again... waiting to finish the bakup.

Crazy, on my MBP turning off/on the tm volume fixed the problem - on my iMac it needed a reboot to fix it.

So I have an imac that has this issue. I have tried multiple time to get it to backup. I have managed after deleting and starting a new backup to get it to work. But just for the initial backup and then it starts failing saying Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

But my MacBook Pro is working fine after the upgrade. No issues at all on it.

I’m having this issue as well. The weird thing is that I installed the beta as soon as it was made available, and have been able to perform Time Machine backups successfully to two separate USB 3.0 drives up until June 14th. They both started failing at the same time. I’ve tried rebooting, reconnecting the drives, and removing them / re-adding them in Time Machine. Nothing seems to work.

having the same issue. actually was nusing an early 2016 macbook with zero back up-time capsule issues.

moved to a 2017 macbook and all attempts to back up fail. including deleteing (reformat) the drive and renaming/rebooting the time capsule.

error occurs while trying to cerate the backup folder

I don't know if you're aware but the Beta that was originally posted was later pulled for a short while before being put back up for download if you were quick to download the Beta maybe that is the issue.

Didn't know that! Thanks! I'll try redownloading the beta installation again and see how that goes..

Whelp, seems that I'm suffereing from the same problem as these folks:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79609

So, trying to figure that out so I can reinstall 10.13

Trying from the downloaded installer or a USB Boot Installer fails saying I don't have enough free disk space. One thing leads to another.

I managed to reinstall 10.13 from the newly downloaded installer file setup on a USB Boot Install. Build 17A264c

All the same issues remain. So, I don;t think it was that. But thanks! Gave me some hope :-)

I downloaded the beta and was able to do Time Machine backup to an external HDD before knocking off for work. The next morning this error happened.

I used First Aid using Disk Utilities and after a few hours of "fixing" Time Machine can make backup again throughout yesterday.

However, this morning when I returned to work and woke my iMac from sleep, the problem repeated! I believe it has got to do with the Mac going into sleep with Power Nap option turned on.

Gonna try to turn that function off and see if it will happen again.

I have this issue.

More details logs show:

Failed to create APFS snapshot with name 'com.apple.TimeMachine.2017-06-23-094103' on volume '/', error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=16 "Resource busy"

Which suggest this isn't actually an issue with the drive you're trying to back up to, more the way it uses APFS snapshots to use the backups now.

Can anyone confirm if Time Machine is behaving itself better under 10.13 Beta 2?

For me using a late 2012 27" iMac, TM is behaving with Beta 2. My TM is working with both a Time Capsule and an external drive - they alternate. This iMac has a 3 TB Fusion Drive and it is using HFS+. I saw no option for APFS and assumed that this Fusion Drive was not compatible.