User Fingerprint sencer (Touch ID) as reader

Is there a way to use the touch id as fingerprint reader ... means we can ask the user to touch the sencer and then user that fingerprint to authenticate with third part applications. For an example of an third party API holds the fingerprint then went we utilise fingerprint sender on my iPhone to read user finger print and then utilise it for authentication against the APl.

Replies

I’m not sure I understand your question correctly, but if you’re asking whether it’s possible to get raw fingerprint data out of the Touch ID sensor then the answer is an unequivocal “No!” Raw fingerprint data is only ‘seen’ by the Secure Enclave. The iOS Security document describes how this works.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for the reply, as I understand that raw fingerprint data is not available using TouchID. Is that any external hardware that can be attached to iPhone externally and user that use that and then we can use that fingerprint raw data for our application.

Is that any external hardware that can be attached to iPhone externally and user that use that and then we can use that fingerprint raw data for our application.

I’m not sure I understand this question. I think you’re asking if you can buy an off-the-shelf fingerprint scanner accessory that you can access from your app. Is that right? If so, I can’t speak to that — I don’t keep track of the iOS accessory market — but it seems like something you could search the ’net for.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hey,

I wanted to know if the HASH of the read finger print will be available for developers to use it on macOS?

~shakul

I wanted to know if the HASH of the read finger print will be available for developers to use it on macOS?

The “will be” makes this a forward-looking question, and Apple folks aren’t allowed to speculate about The Future™. Our standard answer to such questions is, if you want a specific feature to be made available, file an enhancement request describing your requirements. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”