How to set default language for my app

I've localized my app for Chinese and English, and I want my app use English when the system language of the user's device is neither English nor Chinese. I changed the system language of my simulator to Japanese, and I found my app shows Chinese. So how to set the default language to English?

Accepted Reply

I've solved it. Just set developer language to English.

Replies

I've solved it. Just set developer language to English.

I don't think this will work on device (without debug mode). As far as i know it depends on preferred language sequence of your device and iOS's fallback language mechanism.

If you change your device language to Chinese, you app will be in Chinese as your app have chinese bundle to support it.

Now lets say your device language set to Japanese. As your app doesn't have janapense lproj bundle, it will check which one is the last supported language (from your preferred device language list in setting). In this case Chinese, hence app will display all content in Chinese because your app has loaded chinese lproj.

Can you confirm this behavior in your app?

+1

Just FYI, there’s a Q&A on our web site that specifically addresses this, to wit, QA1828 How iOS Determines the Language For Your App.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"